Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Free computers for low income families

(6 Posts)
Lagirafe Thu 11-Aug-16 11:00:10

Does anyone know of any schemes that are still going for free computers for low income families?

I've just got broadband and am saving for a little laptop (notebook?) for my son to use for homework but the lady at the job centre said to google for schemes that offer free laptops. I can't find anything still going so wondering if anyone knows of any?

19lottie82 Thu 11-Aug-16 17:39:56

A quick google threw up plenty of results for me

www.choose.net/media/guide/features/free-computer-schemes-benefits-disabled.html

cozietoesie Thu 11-Aug-16 18:55:17

It might be worthwhile to ask the admin staff at your son's school? There are sometimes schemes offered by educational bodies for IT for students' use - and in addition, they might know of other local schemes.

erinaceus Fri 12-Aug-16 07:17:32

I have PM'd you OP.

BusStopBetty Fri 12-Aug-16 07:41:52

It's also worth asking on freegle or freecycle, or Facebook selling sites as people sometimes give away older models when they upgrade.

Lagirafe Fri 12-Aug-16 09:05:48

I have replied erinaceus brew

Thanks for the links - I've had a good look! If anyone else is in a similar situation then this is the best/cheapest option I have found www.ecosystems-group.co.uk/webstore/qualifying-starter-laptop.html
You do need to be claiming a means tested benefit eg. Income support though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now