Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Critical Illness Cover

(8 Posts)
HormonalHeap Wed 10-Aug-16 19:56:15

My dh had a mole removed which turned out to be a melanoma. Thank gd it had not spread and that is the end of it. However, his consultant asked him if he had critical illness cover. He has quite a few policies which, if they paid out would total just under a £1 million.

Apparently melanoma is the only form of skin cancer mentioned on the policies that is covered, but I am sure they will try and wriggle out of a payout now that he is fine. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Drowzeee Thu 11-Aug-16 11:23:24

I'm pretty sure that should he be unfortunate to get it again, it would be classed as 'pre-existing' and he wouldn't be covered with most providers.

You may find an insurer that is prepared to cover pre-existing conditions however the premiums will be higher.

Drowzeee Thu 11-Aug-16 11:24:26

Oops, sorry, just realised he already has cover!! Ignore me blush

MrsPiddlewink Thu 11-Aug-16 11:27:52

You need to contact his insurers. I'm fairly confident they will pay out - however it may be a proportional amount depending on the severity.

Oliversmumsarmy Thu 11-Aug-16 11:30:25

Having been through this with dp recently. I think they only pay out if you have a diagnosis of less than a year to live.
That was dps policy.

HormonalHeap Thu 11-Aug-16 15:01:32

Thank you. It was definitely an invasive melanoma but had not started to spread and is now a closed matter. There is nothing about having only a year to live on any of the policies. We will have a go. Thank you.

Sunseed Thu 11-Aug-16 18:02:50

My husband had a malignant melanoma removed and a successful claim on his CI policy. It is the most serious form of skin cancer which is why it's the only one that CI policies do pay out on, although some of the new products are now paying small amounts for some pre-cancer conditions. Contact the insurers and put in a claim - if all the underwriting was done upfront when the policy started then it should be very straightforward.

HormonalHeap Thu 11-Aug-16 22:55:54

He's just found another old policy worth £1m but excludes melanoma just our luck. We will contact the other insurers, thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now