Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits on Mat leave?!

(7 Posts)
milkyface Tue 09-Aug-16 15:51:40

I'm on maternity leave from a job with an ok wage (prob shit by mn standards) but ok for me anyway.

DP is working but is changing jobs, the wage for three months is going to be absolutely shite, but then after three months goes up quite considerably.

Because I'm on mat leave my wage is going to be tiny for the next three months and we're going to be very very skint.

I haven't ever applied for tax credits before but can I apply for them?

I'm confused as if I send them info from our p60s it will look like we're earning quite a bit, but in reality were prob earning slightly over half in the short term.

Obviously it's worth dp moving job because his wage will be better, but I'm just worried about coping short term.

Should I submit info inc p60s and ring them?

The only thing is this job will be same set hours each week but he will do variable overtime so I don't know what his wage will be..

How do I do this without getting accidentally caught out and having to pay masses back? I obviously do not want to deceive anyone!

We have one dc not in childcare as I'm obviously at home, tho he will be in childcare almost full time when I go back....


milkyface Wed 10-Aug-16 09:10:10


AveEldon Wed 10-Aug-16 09:16:55

You should call them - you would need to give an estimate of income for the current year and explain why it's different eg new job

livvylongpants Wed 10-Aug-16 09:19:13

You should do the online calculator I get an idea.

Also tax credits don't count the first £100 of maternity pay per week, so if you are only on the statutory then technically you only earn £30 odd a week.

MollyRedskirts Wed 10-Aug-16 09:19:20

You'd have to apply, then tell them you want to be assessed on your current years income as claims are automatically awarded based on the previous years income. The way overtime works, you'd be expected to work out an average over the year and include it in your income.

Even doing that, based on the fact your income is going to vary so much within the year, you could still end up with an overpayment. It's the way the system works. You can have a few months of not much money, get tax credits, tell them when your income goes back up, then because your income is looked at over the entire year, end up having to pay back what you received.

Have a play around with the calculator at Turn2us and see what it says you're entitled to.

milkyface Wed 10-Aug-16 09:29:32

Thanks all I'll have a look. It's all so confusing!

Will have to give them a ring I think!

Babyroobs Wed 10-Aug-16 15:24:56

You apply and they will ask for joint income for 2015- 2016. They will tell you you are entitled to zero if that is over £26k ( assuming it is your first chid). You then apply giving an estimate for this tax year 2016-17. If that is below £26k you may get some help. Like pp says you can take off £100 per week smp from your total.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now