Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can they do this?

(2 Posts)
nighttimesky Sat 06-Aug-16 14:30:07

Can United utilities take money from someone's incomes support without your consent. I have a family member who 'owes' them money so they have decided to take £60 a fortnight out of her income support to cover the monthly cost of water as well as arrears. She was never asked of informed, just got sent a letter this morning telling her. She will literally have £25 a week left of her benefits as she has a budgeting loan coming out of that aswell. Should they have asked her?

bramblina Sat 06-Aug-16 23:50:16

It will probably have been written in to the original contract which she took out with them when they supplied her. You can cancel dds directly with your bank however, which I think I would do, then they will try to recover the money in a different way.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now