Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Daft question re child benefit (expat)

(6 Posts)
mummy2zni Thu 04-Aug-16 08:30:29

Hi, sorry for daft question. I could finally apply for child benefit for two DCs last year. Yay! So that was nice. Do I need to apply again this year and if so do I really need to send original birth certificates in again? As these are from Oz/NZ it would be a real pain in the backside if they were lost in the post! Not to mention, despite last time writing in big bold letters 'do not fold' the postie still managed to screw them up into a ball to put through the letter box!

Advice please... smile

Babyroobs Thu 04-Aug-16 10:26:57

I'm confused, have you recently moved to the UK form Oz/NZ or do you live there? You don't generally have to re apply each year for child benefit, only for child tax credits.

Babyroobs Thu 04-Aug-16 10:28:01

Also if it is child tax credits you mean, then you renew each year but you don't generally need to send off birth certificates each year. I imagine that was just for the initial application.

mummy2zni Thu 04-Aug-16 10:45:50

Sorry for lack of details - we are ex Oz living in UK for past 6 years. Only eligible for child benefit last year. Haven't seen any payments in account for this financial. Wondered if need to apply again...

annielostit Thu 04-Aug-16 12:21:18

Try ringing the club number, they are not as unclever as the tax ppl

Babyroobs Thu 04-Aug-16 13:40:46

Normally you don't need to re-apply. If you have a child who has recently turned 16 they will sometimes stop payments until you have confirmed that your child is staying on at sixth form or college. That could be one reason why a payment stops.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now