Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Estate Agent fees AIBU

(7 Posts)
covgal1983 Mon 01-Aug-16 20:58:39

A quandary I currently have and would like anyone's thoughts on...!

I am moving. Put my house on the market early Jan this year with one EA: lots of viewings; several offers; 3 acceptable, but none ever reached the SSTC stage. One buyer in particular dragged on forever. Put an offer in, negotiated and accepted. She had to find the money for stamp duty so held off formally committing... Wanted to bring a builder round. Builder cancelled... More delays etc etc over a period of 6 weeks. Eventually - just as I was told that she was ready to put it into the hands of her solicitors, she pulled out. I didn't ever take it off the market and, in fact, was very keen during these final stages to change EA just to be proactive, but EA kept assuring me that this lady was very keen and was in a very good position to buy (first time cash buyer) although I did suggest that she seemed flakey.

Anyway, when this conclusively fell through, I changed EAs and, within a week, following several viewings was SSTC and have exchanged with a completion date set.

Contractually I owe the original EA a fee (£300) for marketing etc. I knew this when I signed up, and am they type of person who doesn't usually barter, let alone withhold payment. But should I? 5 months is a long time not to sell a house that quickly proves itself saleable with another agent, isn't it? Original EA's judgement and advice is really the only thing at fault. Some questions were raised re marketing by EA#2, but nothing really.

Just wondering if I would be unreasonable to avoid paying? Or if anyone has had a similar experience...?

Ta!

CodyKing Mon 01-Aug-16 21:09:36

All payments are taken from the solicitors via your completion - I doubt you'll avoid paying it.

That and it's a contract - sorry can't see you lot paying

covgal1983 Mon 01-Aug-16 21:11:43

Ah! Didn't know that. I guess the EA will have already contacted them then... Thanks!

ThroughThickAndThin01 Mon 01-Aug-16 21:16:07

They would (probably) take you to court if you owe it and don't pay it.

Viviennemary Mon 01-Aug-16 21:23:55

We once (years ago) took our house off the market. We were liable to pay quite a hefty fee but didn't feel the estate agent had offered very good service. We negotiated down by quite a bit. Can't remember the exact figures as it was a very long time ago. If you feel they didn't make enough effort or have been negligent in keeping you up to date with the buyer that let you down, you might be able to say offer them £100 or £150 and they might accept it as being worth their good name. Don't think you can actually refuse to pay it or they might sue you.

covgal1983 Mon 01-Aug-16 21:56:42

That seems reasonable Vivienne! Maybe worth me considering. I have never quibbled before and they definitely spent time and must have spent some money, but I do feel that they were a bit rubbish. And I've no appetite for being sued!!!

covgal1983 Mon 01-Aug-16 21:56:43

That seems reasonable Vivienne! Maybe worth me considering. I have never quibbled before and they definitely spent time and must have spent some money, but I do feel that they were a bit rubbish. And I've no appetite for being sued!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now