Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Funds whilst on Mat Leave

(3 Posts)
nervoussam Mon 01-Aug-16 15:02:21

Hi all, just doing some sums and wondered if people could share their experiences with me. Without talking numbers, how much did you budget/save for to have during your time off, 100% of usual pay (after your full company mat pay finished) , 50%?
Be good to know what I'm aiming for. We should be fine but I'd also like to not use all our savings if possible!
Thanks!

user1468321775 Mon 01-Aug-16 16:25:55

I dont get any company mat pay - only stat so 90% for 6 weeks then £!38 per week after that. I basically worked out:

- Monthly outgoings x no of months I'm taking off
- DH's income for that time plus mat pay
- Savings had to be the difference between the two, plus a little extra for
comfort.

This is DC #2 so the upfront costs for baby stuff isn't much this time so havent factored that in.

Scrumptiousbears Mon 01-Aug-16 16:35:22

For a start I saved money to cover all of my personal direct debits for the period of time I wouldn't be able to cover them. This also covers money for my car service/parts/tyres/tax/insurance etc.

Then I saved enough to cover my half of the mortgage and joint bills.

All shopping goes on joint credit card and gets paid off in full every month. DP will cover this whilst I'm off. So any food, house or kid shopping will go on this.

I have kept £100/£150 aside for spends which will cover lunch/coffee etc.

I also have a little emergency fund.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now