Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mortgage porting

(4 Posts)
ziggystarrust Sun 31-Jul-16 12:10:24

Hi
Has any mumsnetter 'ported' their mortgage?
We are looking to move to a different area and it's soooo protracted selling the house and rearranging the mortgage. Is porting a viable option? It makes sense to me but I am financially clueless !!!
Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks

Rangirl Sun 31-Jul-16 16:22:06

Normally you have to pay off the existing mortgage and arrange a new mortgage Porting means you can keep the same terms on the new mortgage subject to meeting the lenders current criteris

Iloveapplepie Thu 04-Aug-16 22:31:43

I am porting - if my house bloody sells - and its a bit of a pain. I am having to pay a broker to sort it out as I have a complicated financial set up with my onward purchase.

It is essentially the same lengthy process as a new mortgage - you have to fulfil the criteria. With Natwest if you pass the additional affordability checks you can borrow more (I think anything up to 25k) at the SVR

Iloveapplepie Thu 04-Aug-16 22:32:11

Due to interest rate today though I'd get a broker to check if you could save money taking out a new mortgage vs the ERC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now