Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Confused about tax credits

(14 Posts)
Hubnut Fri 29-Jul-16 21:25:53

Hello. I became a single parent in April, never thought I'd be entitled to benefits but someone recently told me to look at tax credits. I put info into entitled website and it says I'm entitled to around £600 per month. That seems like loads - I have one child who is at nursery so there's an element of childcare tax credit in there.

Does that figure seem right to anyone in a similar situation?

What the calculator didn't ask was whether my ex pays towards childcare (he does - half). Does that not matter?

Sorry if this sounds ridiculous and grabby. I've never received benefits and that figure is a third of my salary, seems to good to be true.

Happydappy99 Fri 29-Jul-16 21:27:17

I get tax credits towards childcare, my ex pays 50% and then I claim towards my 50%.

Just5minswithDacre Fri 29-Jul-16 21:27:32

Does that figure seem right to anyone in a similar situation?

There's no way for us to know without income and childcare cost details smile

Happydappy99 Fri 29-Jul-16 21:27:53

Sorry - that wasn't very clear.... I only declare 50% of the costs to tax credits.

Just5minswithDacre Fri 29-Jul-16 21:28:33

What the calculator didn't ask was whether my ex pays towards childcare (he does - half). Does that not matter?

Yes it matters. Only tell them about what YOU pay.

Imnotaslimjim Fri 29-Jul-16 21:30:49

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you have to declare if you receive maintenance and I think your ex paying half towards childcare would come under that. If there is anywhere on the online calculator that asks if you get maintenance, put in how much he pays towards childcare and see if it makes a difference. If not, the calculator is usually pretty accurate as long as it's not too complicated.

Hubnut Fri 29-Jul-16 21:40:04

Thanks. I saw a bit for maintenance but I think it said it didn't affect the calculation. I think I'm going to have to go through it all on the phone with the tax credit people - I'm baffled by it all. I've suddenly thought "shit I could have been claiming since April" looks like you can only backdate a month.

Just5minswithDacre Fri 29-Jul-16 21:45:21

No, child maintainence had no effect.

Hubnut Fri 29-Jul-16 21:51:24

I'm getting childcare vouchers at present - but now I am a lone parent it looks like I'd be better off with tax credits. I guess I need to find out and then cancel the childcare vouchers. Do you thinkHMRC will talk me through all this or is that not their job? I definitely need some help in working it all out.

Muddlingalongalone Fri 29-Jul-16 22:00:54

It could be right - I nearly fell of my chair when I found out I could get £400 every 4 weeks.
It was when I was on mat leave so reduced income & I left DD1 in nursery so was, getting a childcare element too.
It wasn't worth me stopping childcare vouchers as it was only for a year til I went back to work & I wouldn't get higher rate tax relief vouchers back if I stopped them but otherwise it's meant to be better without them.

As i understand the system if your ex pays you then you don't have to declare it as it is maintenance but if he pays the nursery direct or uses childcare vouchers you can only claim based on the amount you physically pay in cash to them iyswim.

Muddlingalongalone Fri 29-Jul-16 22:03:14

Oh & if you phone & get them to send you a form the month is backdated from that date whereas if you download the form yourself it's only backdated from when they receive the form.
Have you claimed council tax discount? My Borough backdated to the date ExH moved out.

Just5minswithDacre Fri 29-Jul-16 22:11:56

TBH, entitled to is usually pretty damn accurate, often more so than the HMRC helpline staff.

Hubnut Fri 29-Jul-16 22:14:55

Got the CT discounts thanks muddling
I'll go through entitled again just to check. Thing is, I've asked work to increase my hours, should kick in next month so things will change anyway. I'll work on what I earn now and take it from there.

Hubnut Fri 29-Jul-16 22:22:17

Part of my confusion is cos I was on maternity pay 2015 which skews income info. I'll stop blathering and sit down next week to work it out, thanks everyone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now