Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity Allowance.

(7 Posts)
ListenToYourHeart Fri 29-Jul-16 14:01:48

Looking for some advice as the direct gov website is confusing me.

Basically I'm 18 weeks pregnant as have just found out I may be made unemployed by the next month, to be honest it's not a massive shock the company is failing massively and I've been looking for other jobs but it hasn't been easy what with being pregnant.

I haven't yet told my employer I'm pregnant yet simply cause they have a track record of treating pregnant women terrible, firing them of them and ensuring it is all above board so have never got in any trouble for unfair dismissal, even though it's seem very obvious that whenever someone's declared they are pregnant they are let go with a months notice for whatever reason.

Anyway my question is if I quit my job this month, or got a months notice given would I be entitled to Maternity allowance? The calculators seem to point to yes, but some of the wording in the guidance notes seem to confuse me.

I've worked full time for this boss for a year on 12th August however firstly with one of his companies, and was then moved to a different company he owns.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ListenToYourHeart Fri 29-Jul-16 14:06:59

Sorry for typos, wrote it out in a hurry and hit send with out checking. hmm

delilahbucket Mon 01-Aug-16 13:14:35

You can't get maternity allowance if you're not working so no, you won't get it if you quit your job or even get let go.

user1468321775 Mon 01-Aug-16 16:30:07

If you miss the window for SMP to be paid to you (I think you need to be 15 weeks or closer to your EWC) then yes you should be entitled to Maternity Allowance...it depends on how long you were in employment for as to how long you get it for though.

KP86 Mon 01-Aug-16 16:36:56

Delilah, that's incorrect.

I have a friend who was made redundant while pregnant and she still got MA (not SMP) even though she didn't get another job before giving birth.

I think as long as you meet the working test (I think it's a minimum of £30/week average salary, and working so many weeks of the past 66 - please check these criteria from the website) then you should be eligible.

The amount you get might vary as they take it as max of £140-odd/week OR 90% of your average salary, whichever is lower.

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 01-Aug-16 16:42:22

From the calculator for your rough due date - Did the mother work (or will she have worked) for at least 26 weeks between 27 September 2015 and 31 December 2016?

Or if no,

Did the mother earn (or will she have earned) a total of £390 or more in any 13 weeks between 27 September 2015 and 31 December 2016?

If neither of these then you're not entitled to MA - you will therefore need a new job I think unless it lasts til this time period

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 01-Aug-16 16:43:15

Oh sorry - read the 2015 as 16 - so sound alike you would get it

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now