Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Car insurance, didn't know a claim was made...

(7 Posts)
BumpPower Thu 28-Jul-16 17:12:36

Last year my Dad lent me his car for a week whilst he was on holiday and mine needed repair
I was added as a temporary driver to his policy. A man in a van drove into the back of me. His fault, all very amicable and barely any damage and we exchanged details but my Dad didn't make a claim as there was no damage.
My partner has just been charged £30 by his insurance company because I am a named driver on his policy and he didn't declare I had an accident.
So the other guy must have claimed but admitted fault as my Dad knows nothing about it. Should I tell my insurers? Or will they know as my partner's did?

lifesalongsong Thu 28-Jul-16 17:17:36

I don't know the technical answer but I'd always err on the side of caution with insurance as they have shared databases now and are likely to find out anyway

crocodilesmile Thu 28-Jul-16 17:25:16

I'd speak to them and demand details - I have been on the phone to insurers and they ask "have you been in an accident in 'x' time?", I've answered "no" and they've said "a car matching the description of yours was in an accident on 'y' date (months previously) - was this not you?" Thankfully I was out of the country at the time and with no named drivers on my policy. My car had had no bumps so it must have been a mixup somewhere.

BumpPower Thu 28-Jul-16 17:41:20

Thanks. Of course anytime you speak to insurance companies they seem to charge £30 "admin fee. Grrrre

Blushingm Tue 02-Aug-16 23:42:03

Tell the mad all claims go on a database

lovelyupnorth Thu 04-Aug-16 07:59:07

As you clearly failed to declare the accident on your insurance renewal then I think it's tough shit Sherlock. You should declare it regardless of claim and as it was a not at fault wouldn't make any difference to the cost. If you check the t&cs of most policies you should declare it regardless of if you claimed or not.

delilahbucket Thu 04-Aug-16 13:16:57

It depends on the wording. Some insurers say "have you had a claim" and others "have you had an accident" or similar. If a claim was made by the other driver then the insurers have to notify you. After all, you can't declare what you don't know. I would definitely be getting further details about this claim. To be honest, charging an admin fee for an undeclared claim seems a little odd. It can invalidate your insurance and they can cancel it. They must write to you if this is happening. How did they "find out"?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now