Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How To Support Myself

(19 Posts)
SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Tue 26-Jul-16 22:14:56

Hello all!

I was made redundant about 6 weeks ago and I've finally found a job (yay!) but it's not starting until Sept 22nd. Now, as soon as I get my official job offer (I've got to be screened etc before this which takes about 4-6 weeks) I've been told that my JSA will stop unless I'm still actively looking for work, and then once I start work (obviously) JSA will stop. But, due to the way the payroll falls, I won't get paid for 6 weeks.

Does anyone know what on earth I can do to help look after me and my son (and get to work!!) during that time?? I'll still have CTC coming in but...........

Thanks in advance!

Mumoftwoyoungkids Tue 26-Jul-16 22:36:04

Could you keep looking for a temporary job to cover you until Sept 22nd. Then if you get something you will start earning, if you don't then will you be eligible for JSA?

cozietoesie Tue 26-Jul-16 23:17:40

Have you checked with your prospective employer? Many organisations have procedures in place for making an advance payment of a proportion of future wages to new starts - a sort of 'loan' which is deducted from the full entitlement at a later date.

cozietoesie Tue 26-Jul-16 23:18:49

PS - congratulations on the new job. smile

AndNowItsSeven Tue 26-Jul-16 23:21:13

You just keep looking for a job - but don't actually accept another one.

Viviennemary Wed 27-Jul-16 16:35:16

Just say you are still looking for a job. It's the only way round this. It does seem wrong that you have to wait six weeks to be paid. I don't think there's any harm in asking to be paid before this.

19lottie82 Thu 28-Jul-16 17:44:27

Are you totally sure that you won't get paid for 6 weeks? Has this been confirmed by your new employer? I'd assume you would get a wage covering 22-30th September at the end of the Month.

I know it's only a weeks wages but you will have had benefits from 1st - 22nd?

19lottie82 Thu 28-Jul-16 17:45:30

PS you ARE still looking for work...... But only for roles that will end by the 22nd September!

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Thu 28-Jul-16 22:01:30

Thanks all.

It's 2 weeks in hand, 19lottie82 so yeah, I join just after the close of the pay period (2 weeks before payday) and will get 4 weeks pay 6 weeks later.

Does anyone know any tips on surviving between start date and October payday?

cozietoesie Thu 28-Jul-16 22:33:30

Have you spoken to your employer's HR people about an advance of salary?

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Thu 28-Jul-16 23:04:43

I'll have a word when I go for my induction day cozie - I'm just worried about having to pay it back.

I'm trying my damnedest to keep out of my overdraft and not get in debt.

This whole being redundant business has really shaken me tbh. It's horrible the absolute minimum amount of support you're offered.

hownottofuckup Thu 28-Jul-16 23:07:54

Are you lone parent? Try ringing the Gingerbread helpline.

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Thu 28-Jul-16 23:25:12

I am. Thank you! hownotto

ameliapond Fri 29-Jul-16 08:26:37

Not sure if it's still the case, but check you don't get a four week run on of housing and council tax benefit.

Glamourgates Fri 29-Jul-16 09:02:42

You can still claim JSA, just apply for jobs as usual. Have you spent your redundancy pay?

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Fri 29-Jul-16 13:44:53

I don't get housing benefit amelia as I have a mortgage, and I'm waiting on my council tax benefit going through so I'm still paying that.

I'm currently using my redundancy money on my bills etc glamour. I paid most of my debt off and I've got about £800 left which should last me 2 months.

I just need to get my head down and get a plan in place, really. It'll all be ok in the end, it usually is.

maggiethemagpie Sat 06-Aug-16 22:29:27

Continue to claim JSA on the basis that you are available for temporary work.

I don't agree that most employers would offer an advance on wages, it puts them in a vulnerable position, what if you decide the job is not for you and leave shortly after starting (and receiving the advance)? I wouldn't dare to ask.

BarbaraofSeville Sun 07-Aug-16 08:59:52

As well as continuing to look for temporary work (could you get anything via an agency?), if you are disciplined, and it doesn't cost much, there really isn't anything wrong with using your overdraft to pay for food, transport and other essentials, this is what they are for - to help with temporary cash flow problems. You just need to make sure you pay it off as soon as possible - if you got an advance from your new employer, you would still have to pay that back anyway. Good luck with the new job.

Rainatnight Sun 07-Aug-16 09:05:03

Could you get a mortgage holiday?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now