Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Sure I'm having too much money taken off my salary-Please help!

(11 Posts)
peskyfeelings Tue 26-Jul-16 10:43:22

Just gone back to work after 6 months long term sick.

I've received my first payslip and I'm pretty sure that I am having more money taken off me than I should be.

I work 22.5 hours a week and earn a basic salary of £1016.19 a month. My payslip states that I've had £199.00 income tax taken off me and £38.86 NI. I also appear to have had a salary sacrifice of £20.32 taken off! I don't even know what that is for!

So I'm left with £758.01 as my take home salary. Surely that can't be right?

I could really use some advice as I'm not sure what to do next. Thank you in advance.

HeyMacWey Tue 26-Jul-16 10:49:50

Money saving expert calculator says you should be taking home £955.

Are you on an emergency tax code?

SellFridges Tue 26-Jul-16 10:52:16

Could the salary sacrifice be pension? Ours is done as sacrifice.

Lweji Tue 26-Jul-16 10:53:43

check your tax code

redhat Tue 26-Jul-16 10:53:44

The salary sacrifice is likely to be pension or childcare vouchers. Have you opted out of the pension?

LemonBreeland Tue 26-Jul-16 10:54:10

Definitely check the tax code on your pay slip and google it. It sounds like too much tax. You can then ask HR why you are on that tax code.

Moreisnnogedag Tue 26-Jul-16 10:56:53

Hmm that doesn't seem right. Have you got your wage slip?

LunaLoveg00d Tue 26-Jul-16 10:58:07

Phone your payroll department and ask.

peskyfeelings Tue 26-Jul-16 11:45:29

Thank you for all the replies everyone.

I've just checked and they've got me on a BR code which is emergency tax! Going to have to ring HR as soon as I go into work tomorrow.

It's really hacking me off. I'm still trying to sort out the fact that they were taxing me on my SSP when I was off! It's really not good enough.

The Salary Sacrifice could only be for my pension I imagine? I haven't opted out. It's odd though...on previous payslips it was always just down as pension.

Balletgirlmum Tue 26-Jul-16 11:54:02

Was your life by term sick sick pay from your employe or from the state?

If the latter then you should have been given a P45 from DWP or asked to give a starting declaration. If your declaration states that this is now your main job but you have had another job or benefits since 5 April then you should be allocated a normal tax code but on a Week 1 basis (not cumulative)

Balletgirlmum Tue 26-Jul-16 11:57:18

Also with regards to your pension. If your company has had their auto enrolment staging date but you have opted to pay more than the statutory minimum in contributions then salary sacrifice is a tax/NI efficient way to make those extra contributions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now