Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help, what would you do?

(6 Posts)
Kosullivan Mon 25-Jul-16 14:55:22

Ok so my other half is in full time work. We receive working/child tax credits at the moment. I'm studying in October.
Money is really tight at the moment, I'm a bit stuck with what to do. If I take a full time job we'll have to pay for childcare, if I take a part time job we still have to pay for childcare in the summer and we'll lose all of our tax credits, the chances of me getting a good job are small as I only have A-Levels and I've been out of work for some time. It will also make studying really difficult. Do I suck it up and cope for 3 years til I get my degree or is there another option? Help!

Babyroobs Mon 25-Jul-16 19:14:22

Is it possible to work around your partner's hours so that you don't have any childcare costs? if he works regular hours then you could get evening/ weekend or night work. You would still lose tax credits but hopefully it would still be worth working.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Mon 25-Jul-16 19:17:12

Can you afford to not work while you study? Not everyone can.

Do you know what kind of work you'd be looking for? As a PP suggested, it might be worth looking for something with different hours to DP to cut down on childcare costs.

Kosullivan Mon 25-Jul-16 19:32:59

Babyroobs I'm looking at those hours at the moment but not finding anything where it's just evenings with no shift pattern and enough hours. I think living in a village doesn't help! Thank you smile

Santaslittlemonkeybutler I can just about afford not to work while I study. Honestly, I'll do any job, I'm not fussy at all. Thanks smile

Just had a little (potentially) good news, DH has got an interview for a better paying job! Fingers crossed.

everythingsgoingsouth Wed 27-Jul-16 18:45:52

will you have to pay for childcare whilst you are at uni during the day? or is it home study?

Gooseygoosey12345 Wed 27-Jul-16 20:07:49

It's home study. Distance learning through the open university

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now