Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Should I pay my mum rent?

(2 Posts)
kimbrown8558 Wed 20-Jul-16 23:44:15

I'm 20 years old and have just left University. All the while I was at Uni I was expected to pay £200 a month towards my mum. She then moved her boyfriend in and long story short myself and my brother are now looking to move out and get a place with my partner. Shes expecting me to pay the last months rent even though all my wages have got to go towards a deposit. I feel as though I shouldn't have to as I have been forced to move out as I'm paying rent plus having to support my brother financially with lunch money and him getting to and from work as all of his wages end up being lent to her which she hasn't paid back. Plus am i stupid in thinking the last month of a rented accommodation is usually covered with the months in advance? I have always tried to be independent and stand on my own two feet but i'm moving out as I feel i'd be happier as at the moment I feel restricted to my bedroom. I just want people to give me their views and I don't know if I am being selfish in thinking this way.

DollyBarton Thu 21-Jul-16 06:46:13

I think your mum should help you out more. Especially as you are supporting your brothers lunches. And yes, you usually pay rent a month in advance. But basically I get that youmum might be struggling but come on, she's your parent and I personally would put you first. Tell her to get rent off her boyfriend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now