Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Hard credit search without my consent

(8 Posts)
Rhinosaurus Tue 19-Jul-16 17:20:33

My son (19) was looking at a car in a dealership recently, and could not get the finance himself. He put me on the paperwork without my knowledge as a "joint owner" ie guarantor. Later on he asked if I would guarantee it and go and sign a finance document and I said no as I felt he was over stretching himself, his job was no means secure and if he defaulted I would not be able to afford to monthly payments. He us a history of poor financial management also.

Throughout this I had no contact from the car dealership, but now I can see my credit report shows they did a hard search on my credit rating. Subsequently my credit has dropped 40 points. I am currently renting after selling my house and be looking at getting a mortgage soon, so this could also impact on this.

Where do I start with this? Surely it is against data protection?

e1y1 Tue 19-Jul-16 17:23:16

It is a breach of DPA to carry out a hard credit check without the persons consent.

However, it does not sound like the organisation is at fault here, it sounds like your son is.

He has filled out the necessary paperwork as if he were you, then only asking you after about being a guarantor.

Rhinosaurus Tue 19-Jul-16 17:27:06

Yes, but surely you could put anyone's name on as guarantor and they should make contact direct to gain your consent and confirm your id before searching your credit file, else anyone could do it to anyone else?

Rhinosaurus Tue 19-Jul-16 17:27:38

At no time did I sign any paperwork relating to this, or see any.

LordEmsworth Tue 19-Jul-16 17:49:24

The organisation is at fault, they should not carry out a credit check without informing you.

In the first place - complain to them, they should be able to remove the record of the credit check and restore your credit history.

microscope Tue 19-Jul-16 22:05:29

Did he forge your signature?

PlayingGrownUp Wed 20-Jul-16 08:09:45

A joint owner isn't the same as a guarantor. It would mean that you and your son equally own the car. A guarantor would mean that you would pay the bill in the event that he didn't.

Contact the company and ask for a copy of whatever forms your son filled in. It's your personal data so they will release it to you and it means then you know exactly what information they were given.

Rhinosaurus Wed 20-Jul-16 23:14:21

I have seen the paperwork - I asked my son to see his copy, there is no signature on the parts relating to me.

I wouldn't have either guarantored it or bought it jointly!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now