Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bank charge question

(3 Posts)
imwithspud Fri 15-Jul-16 18:49:12

I currently have a weekly standing order of £20 which goes from my current account, to my savings account. Both accounts are with the same bank and were opened at the same time. I can access them both at the same time on my online banking etc.

Anyway this week I didn't have the money in my account to transfer and I forgot to check beforehand so it didn't go through, I then got a message through my online banking telling me that they are charging me a £10 fee as a result.

I guess I just feel like it's a bit unfair. No one's lost out on anything as a result of the money not going through. If I was paying a business or someone else then I'd understand the charges. It just seems a bit silly to punish me for failing to transfer money from myself to myself (all the money is saved for is spending money for an upcoming holiday). Unless it somehow costs the bank more in admin or something? I don't know, obviously I'll pay up if I have to but I'm wondering whether I'd have a leg to stand on if I were to get in touch with the bank about this. If not then fine, I'll chalk it up to experience.

dementedpixie Fri 15-Jul-16 18:54:27

No harm in asking but you should check there is money available for any standing orders set up whether they are between your own accounts or to external banks

imwithspud Fri 15-Jul-16 19:44:32

Thanks, obviously I know that I should check in future but I've had a bit of a crap week and it slipped my mind that's all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now