Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

WWYD?

(4 Posts)
buttermymuffins Fri 15-Jul-16 17:44:34

What would you do? I have opportunity to get £9k from my work share scheme. Not a fortune but it's a US company & shares are high $$$ & £ is low so good return at the mo. What should I do with it? I have £70k left on my mortgage with 7 years left to go. Can pay 10% extra off each year on top off current repayments. Have about £18k on interest free balance transfer credit cards. Both are manageable with my & DH incomes. I have £1k in premium bonds. DH wants to put it towards another property but getting the rest of a deposit together (about another £40k) will be challenging. Should I just get more premium bonds for the time? Thx.

BackforGood Fri 15-Jul-16 23:30:45

I personally would be paying off debt before getting into more debt - but maybe that's more to do with my attitude to risk ?
How long can you keep £18K on interest free credit cards ? confused

travailtotravel Fri 15-Jul-16 23:36:01

Fgs, just pay off the debt. Interest may be low now but our other living costs and taxes may go up. Your card providers may foreclose their offer. 2nd properties attract extra costs beyond a deposit. Just get rid of the debt. Makes plan for what to do with the other £9k debt and pay it back

WeAllHaveWings Fri 15-Jul-16 23:46:31

pay off debt, either credit cards or towards mortgage. I'd be tempted to put into mortgage as that is costing interest. We can get our mortgage over payments back if we ever need them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now