Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Frugxmas 16

(86 Posts)
Toberich Fri 15-Jul-16 11:45:34

Anyone care to swap ideas on frugal xmas 16 ? I love xmas but not the expense - all ideas welcome !

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jul-16 12:33:11

Found it. smile

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jul-16 12:35:02

Is there anything you've found that works well (or indeed Not well) in your own household, Tobe? smile

SpaceKablooie Fri 15-Jul-16 12:49:21

Oh, great thread idea.

My ideas:

Including some things that DC need in stockings / present pile, e.g. socks, pants, pyjamas. I think of these as the modern day satsuma smile.

Agreeing in advance not to swap presents with some people, e.g. Adult siblings, cousins etc.

Not going overboard on food shopping.

Asking for particular presents for yourself that you would have bought anyway.

Toberich Fri 15-Jul-16 12:53:14

You found me ! Well planning ahead is so important so I usually start asking the kids what Santa is bringing around June 😂

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jul-16 12:55:26

Not going overboard on food shopping is a real crunch I think. People seem to go quite daft at the festive season. (And I include myself there.) It really adds up when you keep thinking 'Just in case' thoughts.

angemorange Fri 15-Jul-16 13:07:23

Some early planning can help - I've bought a few bits in the sales and have a budget in mind. Going to try to really cut back this year!

I try to buy tinned stuff, essentials like tin foil, serviettes, toilet roll etc and put them away during the autumn.

Stocking fillers like pyjamas, socks, comics, popcorn, sweets etc are always popular and don't break the bank.

Toberich Fri 15-Jul-16 13:50:57

I just bought my first KK present which will go towards one of the adults we get (50% chance to be female) - a Yankee candle reduced to half price - delighted - now to make sure I don't forget I have it as usual

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jul-16 13:55:09

I buy stuff throughout the year if it will keep - especially if I can get it reduced - and put it on a special wardrobe shelf. I sometimes forget I've bought something and receive a pleasant surprise. smile

Idontknowwhoiam Fri 15-Jul-16 13:58:29

The family kids all get pjs and a book and usually some sort of sweet/choc gift.
I always buy the pjs in the sales and get one large present for the adults (parents/grandparents) from August to spread the cost.

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jul-16 14:19:31

What sort of gifts do people feel that the recipients really enjoy or use? (As opposed to polite 'Thank You's.)

Badders123 Fri 15-Jul-16 14:29:42

<checks in>
smile

angemorange Fri 15-Jul-16 14:43:19

Personally I like books, cookbooks, candles, scarves, chocolate and vouchers.
I'm not so keen on very scented bath stuff (sensitive skin), jewellery (ditto), ornaments or foodie 'sets' .

Although as I get older I'm just grateful anyone buys me anything lol!

WhyCantIuseTheNameIWant Fri 15-Jul-16 15:05:43

Kk?

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jul-16 15:32:01

I assumed it was Xmas/Santa - as in Kris Kringle. smile

Badders123 Fri 15-Jul-16 15:52:00

Books
Amazon Vouchers
Candles
Earrings
Lush stuff
Quality Chocolate

Toberich Fri 15-Jul-16 17:27:12

Yankee candles
Gloves (esp good quality)
Purse
I used to love cookbooks but now think they cause too much clutter plus can't afford exotic /expensive ingredients anymore !
Love books (decent fiction)
Would love love love something towards going for din/theatre tickets/offer of babysitting but that never happens
Would be thrilled with Tesco/lidl vouchers 😃
Bottle of decent white wine - amazing (avg price)
Incense
Genuinely useful /good value
Nice sets of greeting c

Toberich Fri 15-Jul-16 17:31:19

Butter fingers - nice sets of greeting cards
Magazines I can never afford anymore - such luxury 😀
Nice notebooks
I'm so easily pleased 😀
Scarves
Do not like - obviously recycled presents - battered boxes of cheap toiletry sets / cheap smelly candles/ cheap boxes chocolates / bad cheap generic cookbooks of everything I can already cook / mindless chick lit / bags of sweets for kids annoys me a lot as it's hard enough to keep them off too much sugar
I love getting well thought out & proper sized clothes for kids (ie usually an age or 2 up) - hate when clothes are obv going to be too small (ie last years age) - thoughtless cheap relations (ie ones who have cash !)

Toberich Fri 15-Jul-16 17:33:40

Pottery / vintage plates
New bridge jewellery
I think I'll stop now 😬

Toberich Fri 15-Jul-16 17:36:02

Some of the better presents for the kids they have received are sensible vouchers ie sports shops (they always need something for sports) & even (judge me now) McDonald's vouchers 😬A neighbour gives us those ev year & tbh it's great gives them a treat !! We have a once a month McDs rule (sometimes longer !) so that does 1.5 trips 👍🏻

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jul-16 17:44:20

I often buy small, inexpensive, antiques (of all sorts) as presents - I find them online. The youngsters especially seem to like something which has been tailored to them and which they can keep for the future. Much more so than I would have expected. (I get the cod-stare immediately when they've unwrapped them but I hear about the event later on.)

Badders123 Fri 15-Jul-16 19:18:26

I'm cutting down on cards this year
I get fewer and fewer each year
I'm going to buy wrap from aldi and co op (had some great Star Wars wrap last year)
I'm going to try and convince in laws to only buy for kids this year (my family already do this)...wish me luck!

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jul-16 19:25:02

Good luck on that one because it's a hard line to hold, like maximum gift amounts. It tends to work for one year and then to slip badly in my experience - if not reinforced regularly.

Badders123 Fri 15-Jul-16 19:57:45

I'll never forget the year my sister s d I agreed no gifts
We both had new babies who were both quite poorly and we were both stressed to the hilt...
As agreed I turned up empty handed and she handed me a designer fragrance gift set blushblushblush
I was mortified

cozietoesie Fri 15-Jul-16 20:05:03

Just so. Regular reinforcement is needed - lots of reminders before Xmas, I guess. (Although those circumstances were perhaps a little unusual/difficult.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now