Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Any single parents claiming Universal Credit?

(1 Post)
janeywl Thu 14-Jul-16 15:13:58

Hi there, I'm looking for some advice if possible,

Universal Credit was rolled out in my area in March 2015 and I have been receiving it since then. I'm currently pregnant with my first child (a boy due October 2016!) and wondering what will happen now (I have been receiving a 'personal allowance' for a single person with no children, how will this change once baby is here?)
I've been told that I will remain on Universal Credit even though it is currently only being piloted in my area for single people with no dependents (i.e no children) others with children are still receiving Income Support. I have asked at my local jobcentre and been given the honest answer that they 'don't know" as I am the first person they have had to deal with who has become pregnant while receiving Universal Credit.

Are there any people on here who were receiving Universal Credit as a single person and have become a parent and continued to receive it? Will the amount I receive change? I'm aware that I cannot claim Universal Credit and Child Tax Credit at the same time so what happens?

Thank you for any advice you can give me xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now