Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How can you help your heirs

(5 Posts)
user1468333146 Tue 12-Jul-16 15:38:04

A friend recently lost his mother, and went through the process of trying to sort out her affairs, with little information to help him.

He had signed up to a site to assist with this sort of thing - shareandforget.com but had not thought to suggest to his mother that it would be useful to understand her financial affairs. After all, it isn’t an easy subject to bring up.

He has now introduced me to the site and I can see the benefit of what it has to offer. It doesn’t want usernames and passwords, but it acts as a reference point for heirs to help them when the time comes.

Has anyone else used anything similar?

Sunseed Tue 12-Jul-16 17:17:24

I keep a copy of my Will in my desk at home, along with a periodically updated list of all the various accounts and investments that I have. Even without knowing account numbers, my Executors will at least know which institutions to contact to inform of my death. I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing this information online, nor paying the fees incurred. I am also rather cynical that this is a lead-generating machine for unscrupulous salesmen of one sort or another.

My husband knows that the relevant paperwork is there, and my financial adviser also has a copy of my Will. Between them I am confident that they can sort everything out.

specialsubject Tue 12-Jul-16 18:22:52

A list on a piece of paper is simple and will work.

Public service announcement or spam? I note you are a new user...

specialsubject Tue 12-Jul-16 18:23:41

Ah . £25 a year. Question answered...

Shakey15000 Tue 12-Jul-16 18:24:49

All my family are aware of where my will is and I also wouldn't want to share it online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now