Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If you earn around £22K a year...

(10 Posts)
youneedabiscuit Sat 09-Jul-16 12:14:24

What's your standard of living like? And, if you have a partner, how much does his earnings improve things?

I'm getting back into work and have been offered a job with that sum. I'm wondering how good a salary it is.

I'll only have to pay for shopping, council tax and gas and electric. The rest is mine. And of course DP's to spend as we share each other's cards but he doesn't really buy anything.

A friend of mind manages well on her own with 18K, but her area is much cheaper!

Thank you all for the input X

idontlikealdi Sat 09-Jul-16 12:17:28

Totally spends on where you are and the standard of living you expect. It wouldn't be enough for me, but I'm in SE London and pay half the ridiculous mortgage.

Two4601 Sat 09-Jul-16 12:18:41

I'm on £20k per year, but we also have hrc lrm DLA for DD, tax credits, child support from ExH, child benefit and DH has carers allowance. We aren't struggling at all. You will find people either have other sources of income or low outgoings. £22k alone wouldn't cover our outgoings.

TheWildRumpyPumpus Sat 09-Jul-16 12:19:09

If you don't have to pay rent or childcare, 22k is enough to live on at a reasonable standard I would think?

youneedabiscuit Sat 09-Jul-16 12:19:21

idont oh yes I can imagine. I use to live in East London and was paying more than half my £40K salary on rent and food.

NutellaLawson Sat 09-Jul-16 12:29:52

I'm on that and live in the southeast. I am the sole earner on that and dp is a sahd.

We manage on it but dont run a car (cant justify the cost. I can cycle to work) .

We also don't have a mortgage which makes the biggest difference.

3dc, two in nursery part time, soon to be three is our biggest cost.
We are managing to save money each month so we manage ok on just my 22k. If only I could also get dp's tax allowance. We are poorer than if we each earned 11k but I'm hoping working full time will be better for promotion prospects.

DamsonGinIsMyThing Sat 09-Jul-16 12:44:46

I earn 22k, single woman, live alone. I bring home about 1.3k a month, out of which I pay my mortgage and direct debits, £680, driving lessons £100, pension £150, savings £100, food £75 and dating/evenings out £100. That leaves me with about £100 so that generally is what I use for getting my hair done or buying new clothes.
I reckon I have a very good standard of living.

Piemernator Wed 13-Jul-16 09:22:13

It's under the average salary which is 26k but plenty of people earn less and manage , it is a how long is a piece of string question.

Go to money saving expert and use their info to make a spreadsheet of all outgoings. I used to earn that amount working part time but only did the food shop plus DH transfers money to me so those years were very good indeed. Whatever you do please save some I know it may be tempting to splurge if you have had some lean years but you never know what is round the corner. Chronic health issues for life for me now and pensioned off in my forties, never saw that coming.

proseccowithastraw Wed 13-Jul-16 09:26:51

As pp have said, completely depends on area, outgoings, dcs etc.

We're on 60k and we do struggle, for the record. We don't live in London, just have a lot of bills, student loans and after 40k, you get taxed to hell.

floatycloud Wed 13-Jul-16 09:59:23

I struggled on £22k as a single mum, I was in London and constantly in debt. With a partner it's much easier, we still live in London but his earnings are far higher than mine. He covers all the mortgage and bills/food so my wages are just for personal spending and I have a good standard of living and no debt.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now