Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Your need to know about Concentrix

(41 Posts)
concentrix101 Sat 02-Jul-16 11:55:48

Ok so this is going to take forever to explain.
I am a previous employee of concentrix for HMRC. Worked there from it basically started I'm going to explain exactly what happens.
HMRC has contracted concentrix to carry out compliance checks on three specific aspects of tax credits.
1. Working hours
2. Childcare
3. Undeclared partner
The reason for this is because these are the highest categories which generate the most fraudulent activity. I'm not saying any of you are claiming fraudulently however there are people out there who are.
HMRC are by law entitled to do at least 2 compliance checks a year if they deem necessary. It states that in the tax credit forms.
This is why concentrix has been brought in. Concentrix deal with previous year/current year claims and renewals. So for now it's the tax year 2015-2016 and your renewal for 2016/2017 they can't renew your tax credits without your annual declaration and clearing the previous year risk thats why they ask for evidence for 2015/2016 from April to April.

Everything concentrix does is regulated by HMRC to a max. Concentrix does nothing without HMRCS say so, but they do have the power to stop your claim.

So I'll go through each individual risk and hopefully make things easier for you since current employees basically can not say this shit on the phone. It's completely understaffed over 300 people for over one hundred thousand cases and the advisors you speak too are completely underpaid, they do 40+ hours a week and not one bit of gratitude from concentrix or HMRC and they are barely a day older than 21 for the most part.
Case workers are targeted at basically 25+ closed cases a day.
So think about the many letters you receive.

There are 5 steps.

Step one:
You get your opening letter stating that an investigation has been raised to ensure you're receiving the right amount of tax credits.

Step two has multiple parts:

1. You send the evidence.

2. Caseworker assesses the evidence

3. Sometimes there's not enough evidence to make a decision in that scenario we go to

4. You receive a more information letter for the majority of the evidence you've sent in already and you're frustrated as hell because you thought you sent everything in. Well no.
You haven't. They want everything they've asked for on the letters -

For Undeclared partner:

These cases are flagged because there has been someone registered to the address, they never told us where they got there information from but I'm guessing it's credit reference agencies.
Because if someone applies for a loan or a mortgage or any sort of credit, job even visas, they almost always have to provide a full address history, as soon as they put your address in, it flags up hence the compliance check.

If you live with your parents they're obviously going to be registered at the address they own the damn place or it could be siblings popping up.

If you have ANY kind of joint account with your ex, even if they're closed, credit reference agencies hold that information for years so it will still pop up.

You are not being singled out they are compliance checks. If you notice in the letter instead of over reacting it states "may be another adult living with you"
It doesn't mention partner.
It used to, but that was a major screw up on there end.

The evidence:

all bank statements from April to April. FOR ALL BANK ACCOUNTS. If you're worried about payments from people explain it in a letter, as long as you don't have transactions like "I love you hunny" or "for my husband xxxxx" or "wifey" they won't call to question the payments. Yes it's a pain in the ass but if they can see that you're financially supporting yourself then you're grand.

Tenancy agreement, but really an up to date headed letter from your landlord stating who lives in your house works just as well and has more weight than a tenancy agreement.

The reason they ask for legal separation documents is because if you are married, and separate for a short time and resume the relationship - HMRC still considered you a married couple because it wasn't permanent, so they will take the whole lot off you and make you pay it back. If you're married and you are likely to stay separated, explain to them in a letter that divorce is not an option due to financial reasons and put the date on it which your husband or wife left. If you are divorced, don't send the originals, photocopy them, have them certified by a bank with a stamp and they'll accept it.

The only thing they look for in a council tax bill is single discount

And they want utility bills to prove they're in your name.

If your ex pays them and they're in his name because it's a maintenance agreement EXPLAIN IT IN A LETTER.

For undeclared partner if you send all that crap in and before the time is up, it's dealt with more quickly.

The day you receive the letter, instead of phoning concentrix and waiting on hold for over an hour - call your bank order the statements or print them off from your online banking what's a few quid to order them rather than risk having thousands per year took away?
Call your landlord as for the letter, if you can't get utility bills because you're on prepaid meter on online statements - print them.
They give you 30 days sometimes more to get the evidence.

For working hours:

Working hours mainly flags for compliance checks because every month when your payslips are issued or your job is doing payroll by law they have to update this to HMRC, so the income they declare to them for you each week/fortnight/four weekly/monthly may be less than minimum wage which triggers the checks.
You may have been off sick or on maternity or even term time workers.

Just bare in mind, if you're long term sick - HMRC regulations states you're not entitled to WTC after 28 weeks.
For those that take a years maternity leave, HMRC regulation says you're only entitled to 39 weeks, so after that if you haven't returned to work they'll end your WTC.

For the evidence:
Forget the hundreds of payslips you've probably thrown out along the way over a year, I never kept mine so it's understandable.
Quickest way to comply with working hours and have it out of the way -

Get a letter headed letter from your employer stating the date you started work, how many hours per week you work.
16 hours if a single parent or disabled and over 60
24 hours if you're in a joint claim
30 hours if you have no children

Bare in mind - if you're employer says you work less than those hours they'll take WTC away.

For childcare:

This normally flags because the average amount for childcare for whatever many children you have may be less than what you have declared or because your childcare provider is not a registered with the likes of ofsted, family support NI etc etc
And your child has reached the age where they get their 15 free hours of childcare

If it's the latter then you need to slap your childcare provider silly because they have done you out of your tax credits.

If you use child care vouchers you need to deduct these costs now, you're not entitled to those.
And you need to work out how much you actually pay AFTER the vouchers and the 15 hours free if you claim it.

If you're in a joint claim you're only entitled to child care if you BOTH work 16 hours.

The evidence:

Again just like the working hours -

Ask your child care provider or providers to write a headed letter stating when your child started, how much you pay per week, if needs be get them to deduct the child care vouchers and free hours and include that on the letter too along with their registration number.

If it is all done like that, 98% of the time you won't get a more information letter unless you've got a brainless tool working your case.

Moving on to step 3:
The suspension letter:

This is sent for 1 or all of 3 reasons.
1. You have not complied with the opening letter
2. You have not complied with the more information letter (sometimes the more information letter is sent out even if you don't comply with the opening letter)
3. You have confirmed the risk in your evidence and they have suspended payments to prevent you from being overpaid.

Like I said before, if you send what I said above, you most likely won't get a more information letter or a suspension letter.

Step 4:
This only applies between April 5th and 31st July

They'll send you a letter or call you asking for your annual declaration in full or why what you have declared on the annual declaration doesn't match what your employer said you earned for the year.

If you don't comply with this by 31st July they will finalise your previous year award on the details they have from HMRC and your current year award with be terminated.
Meaning all the provisional payments you have got from Apr - July you will have to pay back all of it, because from the start of the year, you're not actually entitled to the money until you finalise your claim with your annual declaration that's why HMRC spill so much money on advertising to remind you to renew.

And lastly step 5:

The decision letter.

This can go in your favor or against you but that's up to you.

You'll receive a non amend letter based on the evidence you've sent if you have sent in enough to clear the previous year risk for any of the above.

Or you'll receive the amendment letter,
Meaning in undeclared partner:

You have not explained it properly and they have found enough ground to amend the case on.

Or you admit you partner recently moved in or has always lived with you.

For working hours:
You've never been entitled to WTC because you haven't worked the required hours

For childcare:
Your payments you have declared are a lot more than you should be getting.

I hope this helps you understand why you're receiving these, and you stop freaking out.
You should only be freaking out if you have something to hide, if you don't. Then comply with the letters.

My advice, if you're going to call up, do it after 7pm. JC

Just5minswithDacre Sat 02-Jul-16 12:04:01

Interesting. Thanks for posting.

TheDailyMailareabunchofcunts Sat 02-Jul-16 12:15:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

justjuanmorebeer Sat 02-Jul-16 13:11:16

I am really confused about your childcare costs section. You state that you can still claim WTC childcare element if you are partially using childcare vouchers too. Is this true? If so can you link to evidence. Thanks.

Everything I have read says you cannot claim both. One or the other.

Just5minswithDacre Sat 02-Jul-16 13:13:15

This can go in your favor or against you but that's up to you.

TBF, that's not really true. There have been some perverse concentrix decisions against blameless claimants.

Just5minswithDacre Sat 02-Jul-16 13:13:50

(and it sounds a teensy bit menacing smile )

VodkaValiumLattePlease Sat 02-Jul-16 13:18:42

Well that was really patronising

Just5minswithDacre Sat 02-Jul-16 13:52:35

Case workers are targeted at basically 25+ closed cases a day.

I missed that bit on first reading. That will be why there are so many perverse decisions then.

Lovelyname Sat 02-Jul-16 18:35:01

Thanks for that.

Do you know what will happen in my case; when i started the childcare
element last year i let them know about childcare vouchers, which exh was paying for via his employer, but since i have had this letter it seems
Like i should not have had them, even though it is exh paying for them as part of his maintenance!

star2787 Sun 03-Jul-16 07:49:16

Hi so I'm like many of you on here I have received a letter saying that another adult lives with me but they don't I'm struggling sending gas and electric as they are on a pre pay meter my water bill is attached to my earnings and so is my council tax from last year I had money issues badly last year and just starting to recover from it all I have a gas bill which says they are putting a prepay meter on will that be enough? I have my phone bill and bank statements that I can send my work have copies of some of my bills that are attached to my earnings will a copy of it all be enough? My house belongs to my ex he is the mortgage payer me and our daughter live it he only pays the mortgage on it which I can get a copy of the mortgage from him this is his Maintenance for our child which is a funny set up but it's worked for us all for years I'm so worried about it all as I don't no where all this info has come from and having trouble sleeping iv never had a letter like his before please any advise would be massively appreciated X

Babyroobs Sun 03-Jul-16 15:23:09

Thanks for explaining all this. When we claimed a small amount of tax credits towards childcare costs many years ago, I always used to think how strange it was that we never had to send any proof of what we paid, or that our childminder was never contacted. I used to think how open to abuse it could be especially when I knew many people used friends and family who were also childminders. I'm pleased to know that checks are now made. I also know a fair few who claim as single when they have a partner living with them ( but officially living at his mams ' round the corner' ).

KirkMatthews Thu 07-Jul-16 10:19:50

I am a single parent, father with no support physically or financially from my ex and I'm working full time to support us.

I had received a letter from concentrix asking for proof of my childcare costs from april2015-jan2016. I had to reply by Feb2016.

I thought I had sent it off, I hadn't. I have now 6months later found the letter still sealed in the envelope in a pile of paperwork.

My payments have NOT been stopped.

I'm now concerned i may face a penalty fine or have it stopped as soon as they get the info.
I will send it anyway but upon averaging my costs i have worked out i have been overpaid in tax-credits as my babysitter fell ill a number of times last year.
I am also receiving free early learning hours with the local pre-school for my 3yearold daughter.
however I have never had any financial info given to me regarding these free hours. I assumed this was dealt with between the gov/council and the school.


juelle69 Tue 16-Aug-16 07:54:40

i have had big problems and have been left with only my child benefit to live on. The first I knew of concentrix was yesterday morning when i phone tax credits because I hadnt been paid. I phoned them and have been told that I have to send in all the letters etc that you have mentioned above. I am sure that I havent got last years bank statements as I have clear outs every so many months and would have thought them no good as they were over 3 months old. I went to my bank and have been informed that it is going to cost me £5 per statement to have them I have stated, I am now living on £48 a week with 2 teenagers and a 9 year old. Any clues on who i can go to for help because the depression this is causing is unbelieveable. I left my job in may this year as i was on a zero hour contract and covering maternity leave, and because i knew i would be sanctioned i scraped together a little bit of money to start my own business selling on markets and online, but it is early days and whatever little profit i make goes back into the business.

Babyroobs Tue 16-Aug-16 10:04:57

Juelle - Did they not give you some notice to send evidence in? They don't usually stop tax credits unless they have requested statements etc and then they haven't received them.

Babyroobs Tue 16-Aug-16 10:05:51

Also you could try getting some help from CAB.

notmrscookie Thu 18-Aug-16 06:11:31

I had the same thing juelle69 . Got letter sayinf I hadn't renewed . I rang up Monday at 10. Explained I had online lucky I had screenshot it . she put my on hold . came back oh yes I can see u have .. Explained that she could re instate claim would take 4 to 6 weeks with no money .. Wouldn't explain what had happened awaiting confirmation paperwork. . very weird.

lauriejohnston Fri 19-Aug-16 11:44:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

kaoshoneybun Thu 01-Sep-16 07:17:19

We didn't get a notice we were being cut off, don't think we got a renewal pack but had spoken to Concentrix around the renewal time hence thinking nothing wrong as we had to send off all evidence for all our childcare and got it sent back with no suggestion that anything was amiss.

We've written a letter of complaint to HMRC because apparently you can't complain to conncentrix directly which is a farce. The letter was sent 2 weeks ago and has had no reply.

I've complained that the people we've spoken to at both HMRC and Concentrix contradicted themeselves and each other - sometimes within the space of one phone call! I was told the cancellation was nothing to do with concentrix then told I had to deal with concentrix directly. I've been told not to start a new claim as that would take longer (not that they could give me a time it would take to fix), then been told we'd been marked as urgent, then been told its impossible to be marked as urgent so the last one had lied and was told after 2 payments being lost it could be 3-4 weeks...

Today is 4 weeks without tax credits so I'm down over £500 despite having a £200 nursery bill plus £135 childminder bill per week and family have been doing free child care too.

As a teacher, this is already a stressful time of year and it's just as well I've kitted my kid out for school already or we wouldn't be able to afford to now.

Shakey15000 Thu 01-Sep-16 07:22:05

Brave to post in my opinion and I think you are posting to help, not patronise. I hope you don't get into trouble for it flowers

Nicolad06 Tue 06-Sep-16 14:35:36

My payments were stopped on June 22nd, still awaiting concentrix to deal with! Getting nowhere on the phone as to an outcome

toastymarshmallow Tue 06-Sep-16 14:49:52

Well, that is very informative.

But considering it took you a huge post to explain stuff that you admit the staff are not allowed to tell people, I think it is unfair to suggest people are to blame for "freaking out" or not knowing how to comply.

It is easy to say "do as asked and all will be fine" but this involves money that people rely on to eat and pay their bills. Add to that the way the letters are written are not always as clear as they could be, and there are probably a lot of people who have SEN or struggle with these kinds of things in general. I appreciate you taking the time to write all that, but perhaps try not to patronise, eh?

Lea31 Wed 07-Sep-16 16:16:50

Can i ask if anyone is dealin with this shame of a company and how long it takes to sort claim out? First i heard of this company was friday when i found out my child tax credits have been stopped apparantly they "sent a letter" back in june which i never received. It took me 50 on hold to find the reason for this is a pervious tennant at the address i was living in had some sort of account registered there. No common sence in these so called checks they are doing now i have to prove to them av not lied about being single living on my own with two young children. I have been waiting since friday for a manager from both companys to call me back.

ML2009 Thu 08-Sep-16 19:09:52

Thanks for the info . Can anyone shed any light on why I've been asked to provide my record of childcare on letter headed paper ? If it's to contact the childminder for confirmation . Why not cut out the middle man (me) and just get on the phone to said child minder and confirm it and pay my families money ! . My money was stopped nearly 3 weeks ago , hence my agitation .

mamamiaa Thu 08-Sep-16 19:24:38

I think they ask for letter headed paper just so you can't write your own up. I am in same position as you, Waiting to hear from them

ML2009 Thu 08-Sep-16 20:42:13

unfotunately , my child minder doesn't have letter headed paper , but has given as much information as possible , with full contact details for herself . Hope that's acceptable ? What are your thoughts ?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: