Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tax credits on maternity leave entitlement/income help

(2 Posts)
mysteriousbat Fri 01-Jul-16 21:54:28

Hi. Hope someone can help me out here as I'm really quite confused. Say as a couple you earn too much to be entitled to tax credits as I know they generally work on the previous year's income. Then you have another child so you are on maternity leave, being paid smp, so basically not bringing much money in, can you claim tax credits based on your estimated income for the current tax year? Rather than the previous one when you were earning quite considerably more? Or would it kick in the following year? I'm assuming they must be able to factor it in for the current year, otherwise all the money would be laid to you in the next year when you could quite easily have returned to work?! Hope this makes sense!!! Tia x

wannabestressfree Fri 01-Jul-16 21:56:31

Yes you can use the new amount. You need to phone them and give them estimated earnings and it will recalculate the amount and send you a new award. You can also do this online.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now