Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Clueless about benefits and desperate please help.

(6 Posts)
DrudgeDread Fri 01-Jul-16 13:07:09

I would greatly appreciate any advice,

Background - one dc at home 14 years old has issues which mean he needs more support than usual but isn't statemented. Eldest ds is away at uni.

I have mainly been a sahm for the past 25 years. Very controlling bully of an exdp. I have been planning on retraining and have a place on a full time college course from September (runs 3 days a week). I also run a small business from home which is currently losing money but I have hopes that it will bring in some good money when it is established. I currently spend around 15 - 18 hours a week doing this and had expected to continue.

I suffer from depression and anxiety and would have some support at college and I cope ok working for myself in a small way.

My ex has left me and ds. We have nothing. I know I will get maintenance for ds but what else can I do. We weren't married. I don't know if I will have to give up college and/or my little business? I need to claim but what? Jobseekers? I guess I won't be considered available for work if I am studying and trying to build a business. What a mess. I was so close to my life being worth living a little at long last.

Thanks for reading and for any advice.

Mycatsabastard Fri 01-Jul-16 13:16:01

Child benefit, tax credits and possibly housing benefit. you will also qualify for the council tax rebate.

Talk to the job centre. I think if you're working from home then you won't get any other help as ESA is for those not fit for work and JSA is for those actively looking for work.

Your best bet is tax credits but you need to provide an income and I can't see that you are doing that. Talk to them.

DrudgeDread Fri 01-Jul-16 13:32:28

Mycatsabastard thank you for your reply.

Who do I talk too? blush I don't know what to ask, or who to ask. This is all so new to me.
I have spent all morning on the phone, mainly on hold but I keep being given different numbers. Who do I speak to about tax credits?

lornathewizzard Fri 01-Jul-16 13:41:48

You can also use an online benefits calculator which will give you an idea (there is one called I believe).
Your situation sounds a little out of the norm tho, with the business not making money for example so I would try and speak to someone if you can - citizens advice maybe?
Good luck, you'll get it sorted I'm sure.

VioletBam Fri 01-Jul-16 13:45:03

Working tax credits may be an option but you'd need to work more hours. I think...but can't be certain....that it's 30 or 35 hours per week. Can you up your hours and put in a claim for working tax credit?

Mycatsabastard Fri 01-Jul-16 17:31:24

Sorry I've not been back. 10 yr old is being rather dramatic tonight and I'm trying to get both dds packed for tomorrow (with not much success).

Link to HMRC

Also try this:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now