Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

wedding money gift

(6 Posts)
Angeljulia Thu 30-Jun-16 19:48:20

Please could anyone tell me if they know how much one is expected to give as a wedding gift if vouchers have been asked for. They are good friends and we are attending day and evening 'do' .

Desmondo2016 Thu 30-Jun-16 21:12:02

I'm a 25 pound evening only or 50 pound full day kind of guest lol!

19lottie82 Fri 01-Jul-16 10:04:36

It really depends how much you can afford.

You say "we are attending", so I'm guessing that's you and your OH?

Personally, as an all day guest, I'd say £100 in a card between you, IF you can afford it, that is.

I got married 2 years ago and some people gave us a bottle of prosecco, others £500....... And we were grateful for each gift.

Angeljulia Fri 01-Jul-16 16:30:59

Thank you for replies - think we'll go with £100 - don't want to look stingy !! confused

Cabrinha Sat 02-Jul-16 07:32:14

£100 is a lot if money. Don't give that if you can't afford it.
You'll only look stingy to someone who doesn't care about you and who cares what they think?

I got married 7 years ago, and asked for (preference) no gifts, but suggested Trailfinders vouchers for honeymoon if anyone wanted to - because I knows lots of people were "oh come on!" about the no gifts.

My friends were mostly childless IT contractors in the City earning very good money. One was (is) a millionaire. No-one gave more than£30. If I had found that stingy, well - shame on me.

Don't give what you can't afford. Only accept wedding invitations from people who you know like you enough to not care if you give at all.

OvariesForgotHerPassword Sat 02-Jul-16 07:38:29

Give what you can comfortably afford. I get married in December and the thought of anyone stressing over what to give us or leaving themselves short is horrible. I'd rather people just give lovely cards with a nice message in it - if your friends are decent people they'll feel the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now