Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

tell me how much i can spend

(12 Posts)
justabigmess Wed 29-Jun-16 17:46:19

Ok were a family of four 2 DC 4 &2 and our cat.

We are on a very tight budget this month and desperate not to borrow.

So how much do you think a family of 4 can spend on a months food or i should say how little?!

Artandco Wed 29-Jun-16 17:50:44

Depends on what you already have in surely and likes/ dislikes

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Wed 29-Jun-16 17:56:49

If you were shopping at Aldi, probably about £200, depending on what you have in the cupboards (tinned stuff, pasta etc maybe less).

SpongeBobJudgeyPants Wed 29-Jun-16 17:57:30

Meal planning is probably the way to go.

justabigmess Wed 29-Jun-16 18:25:15

All very fussy only really eat your traditional english homemade food you know the kind your nan makes grin

Got a few tins lots of rice and a bit of pasta. I normally budget £400 for the month. I would be amazed if i can do it for £200.

Just looking for an idea of how little others spend and set myself the challenge.

I have access to lidl and iceland.

annielostit Wed 29-Jun-16 18:39:20

As sponge has said, you need to plan. Breakfast, lunch & dinner.
Eggs, baked beans on toast type things for breakfast & lunch are more filling than processed cereals.
When it comes to 'nan type' food. Think whole chicken as opposed to fillet/breasts. Have a roast, then make a pie with the left offs - a £3.50 chicken can do 2 good days with 2+2little DC. Cottage pie type meals bulked out with vegetables, cheaper cuts of meat cooked slowly in casseroles.
Look at your local butcher if you have one. They have lots of options and aren't as expensive as some think. I don't like lidl meat.
I could spend about £80 /week if I really budgeted but it's more like £100 - 3 grown ups including a giant teen.

Artandco Wed 29-Jun-16 18:48:26

You could prob do for £200 but a bit boring every month.

Breakfast - porridge / eggs/ toast

Lunch - homemade filling soups/ leftover dinner

Dinner - cheaper things like carbs which aren't as healthy long term. So sausage and mash and veg, but less sausages each and more mash and veg as cheaper

19lottie82 Wed 29-Jun-16 21:12:31

I also say, that if you meal plan you could do it Aldi for £200, easily. And eat well too.

lovelyupnorth Sat 02-Jul-16 10:52:40

With proper planning £200 is doable. We work on 60-80 per week for 4 with two teenage kids and like local butcher for meat and greengrocer.

M

mshepp Sun 03-Jul-16 08:03:03

Substitute brands for supermarket own, some things don't taste any different.

Look for reduced items, last week I got two loafs of warburtons bread for 4p each. The best before date was the next day but soon as we got home they went straight in the freezer. Bear in mind this usually retails for around £1 so if you hunt around for offers, reduced to clear and close to best before dates you can save a lot.

Me and my fiancée budget to spend about £75 per week.

limon Sun 03-Jul-16 10:12:55

As a family of three we spend about £300 a month but could cut back to £200.

poocatcherchampion Sun 03-Jul-16 10:15:29

There are 5 of us and we are doing a cheap month for £250 for everything. We need to buy a couple of non food bits in there too.

My only saving grace is we are going to stay with my parents for a few days so we will eat them out of house and home those days!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now