Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.


(4 Posts)
Pooforbains Tue 28-Jun-16 14:18:14

I'm wondering if anyone can help. I was made redundent last year but was pregnant at the time so claimed contribution based jsa whilst I looked for work. I didn't find anything before having baby and claimed full 6 months entitlement.
Baby is now 6 months and I need to start looking for work, but I've been suffering with pnd and anxiety, and am not well enough to work. We're really struggling financially, my dh earns a good wage so not entitled to any support but with 3 children and a massive mortgage we are sinking deeper into debt.
Gp wants to sign me off and my friend mentioned contribution based ESA but I'm not sure if I can claim that as used all jsa entitlement and not worked since. Does anyone know?

HeyMacWey Tue 28-Jun-16 14:22:24

I don't think you will be but try giving them a call - they'll be able to let you know from looking at your records.

ComtesseDeSpair Tue 28-Jun-16 16:55:12

Contributions-based ESA depends on the amount of NI you've paid in the previous two tax years. If you weren't working and making contributions last year due to being on JSA and then maternity, that will affect your eligibility; however, you may still be able to claim, albeit for a shorter time period than if you'd been in work previously. You've nothing to lose by applying.

Pooforbains Tue 28-Jun-16 21:29:54

Thanks when I've logged into hmrc it says I've got 17 years full NI contributions including 15/16 tax year. May aswell apply I guess and see what happens.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now