Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Worried about my sister and get rich quick schemes

(7 Posts)
VegasCP Tue 28-Jun-16 09:58:26

Sorry I have not been in MN too much so maybe this is the wrong topic.

My sister seems to be addicted to online schemes where you 'invest' money and get ridiculous rates of interest, 2% a day, 100% after a month, that kind of thing. She finds them on facebook and other websites, where people talk about being millionaires and so on, however my sister has never been so lucky obviously. Obviously these things fold before she can pull out the 'fantastic' earnings. She has lost thousands over the years, money she can not afford to lose. But we are kind (or stupid) enough to help her and her daughter out when things get tight.

I assume these are all illegal Ponzi Schemes? My question is, can she actually get into trouble if she is a participant rather a starter

I hope that post makes sense, I am a bit stressed about it all!

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 01-Jul-16 07:47:25

You need to stop helping her, she can do this because you'll help her. It's costing you as much as her.

SilverDragonfly1 Fri 01-Jul-16 11:15:44

I don't believe she would get into any trouble as she is one of the victims. That is how any legal investigation would see it and the fact that she has lost the money would be compelling evidence of that!

Can't help with how to stop her, but at least you can stop worrying about her being jailed. Good luck with it all.

user1467101855 Fri 01-Jul-16 11:20:06

Participants can certainly get into trouble, while they may be the victims of those who recruited them into the scheme, they then recruit others, who are their victims. It's unlikely as anyone looking will be able to see shes a dupe and not a criminal mastermind, but have you tried telling her that she is spreading this to others and causing them to lose money too?

Stop bailing her out everytime and she might stop throwing her money away.

Arfarfanarf Fri 01-Jul-16 11:22:24

The best (but not easiest) thing you can do is stop bailing her out.

Sit down with her and tell her that these schemes are cons, she is never going to make any money and you are sorry but you cannot and will not bankroll her any more. You will not step in again to give her yet more money.

It will be hard. She will be angry and upset. But she can do this because you all keep on rescuing her from the consequences of her poor judgement.

you will probably say you can't do that to her child but the truth is SHE is doing this to her child and then, intentionally or not, using her child to get people to bail her out.

She won't stop until it hurts her. Really hurts her. Until you all stop giving her money, she's going to carry on.

VegasCP Thu 18-Aug-16 17:40:40

Sorry for the random update 6 weeks later - but I wanted to say thank you to those who posted.

Since I posted we have not bailed my sister out at all. My sister has cut back (hopefully completely) on doing these things. I understand why she did it, even if I did not agree with it.

What I have done is sit down with her and help her applying for other jobs. She feels she is in a rut and is fed up of being 'poor' as she puts it. She has an interview next week, so fingers crossed!

Once again, thank you for those who answered my OP it was appreciated smile

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 20-Aug-16 08:54:50

I hope she gets the job, even if she doesn't interview experience is good.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now