Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Career change advice- Anyone a mortgage adviser?

(4 Posts)
olympicfan Sun 26-Jun-16 18:10:02

Hi- After 21 years teaching I have decided to leave the classroom and I now want to take my life in different direction. I have always been interested in finance, property and people. As an English teacher, I have a good eye for detail and strangely 'enjoy' filling in forms! A friend of mine suggested becoming a mortgage adviser and the more I research it the more interested I have become.

A family friend is an estate agent so I am going to ask if there is a possibility to work-shadow their mortgage adviser, but wanted to know if there are any other mortgage advisers out there who could give some insight into the job.

I have looked up the CeMAP courses and I am quite keen to retrain and learn a new profession. My real question is, will I be able to get a job in this sector? And will a company take me on with no sales experience? Is it too big a risk to pay for a course with no chance of a job at the end?

Thanks

Gracey79 Sun 26-Jun-16 18:13:23

Hi
I'm an advisor, would be prepared there is a lot of pressure to cross sell insurances where I work. I think newly qualified may struggle with no sales experience, our company would rather take you as a sales advisor for general banking and then put you through the exams. Also if I remember rightly some companies now prefer the R01 and R05 exams with cf6 than cemap

simplydivine05 Mon 04-Jul-16 11:34:28

If you go work for a bank you will have to begin at entry level and work your way up if you have no sales experience. This can take a couple of years but will stand you in good stead for understanding the ibdustry. Just doing cemap will not help you understand all the other products that companies expect you to sell alongside. My other half did a career change and self funded his cemap. He had sales and customer service experience already but he still had to start as a banking adviser and prove himself.
You could go straight in as a self employed mortgage adviser however you are only paid on commission which can be erratic and you will not have any back up or additional training.

ExcelDebs Tue 05-Jul-16 14:59:24

I am a mortgage and insurance adviser and where I live no one is interested unless you have a year's experience, making it pretty impossible to get a job for someone who is newly qualified. I run my own brokerage but its a tough market.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now