Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Shall I fix for 5, or 10-years?

(5 Posts)
The2Ateam Fri 24-Jun-16 08:45:00

We're remortgaging in September, and we're going to fix the rate but some are saying we're crazy to fix for 5 or even 10-years. Any views/ experience would be grateful. X

HeyMacWey Fri 24-Jun-16 08:47:05

Bearing in mind this mornings outcome I think of you can get a good deal then I'd fix for as long as possible (I'm v risk adverse though). No one knows what the impact of of leaving the Eu will be.

idontlikealdi Fri 24-Jun-16 11:17:46

If I was you I would see if you can get out early and fix for as long as possible now.

The2Ateam Fri 24-Jun-16 14:18:28

I agree, that is also my gut feeling. Thanks

annielostit Fri 24-Jun-16 15:14:00

When we got our new mortgage 3 months later the bottom fell out of the market. We fixed for 5 years on 5.85% for the rates to drop what they are now. The variable rate was 2.40%.which we dropped to when the 5 yr ended
They might go up they can't come down. We knew we could afford what we had but took the high interest hit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now