Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

sick leave and SSP/holiday pay

(9 Posts)
greengreenten Mon 20-Jun-16 07:50:45

Please can you help me understand and work out my options for pay during sick leave?

I've had some planned treatment and was told by HR that I had enough holiday to cover my leave. They are wrong and I don't. So now I'm wondering what I should do?

I am going to the GP next week for a sick note. Does anyone know if this can be backdated? Do I get a sick note for the whole period of sick leave but ask work to pay me holiday for some of it? I've tried googling this question but it seems that everyone including GPs are a bit vague on whether sick notes can be backdated. Or...do I get a sick note for just two weeks of my leave as that's all I'll hopefully need to save some holiday?

Sorry, dull and fiddly questions!

greengreenten Mon 20-Jun-16 09:20:52

smile

greengreenten Mon 20-Jun-16 21:39:20

confused

LIZS Mon 20-Jun-16 21:44:11

Is it non essential treatment? Otherwise it should all be sick leave. You can self certify for the first 5 days before needing a fit note from gp or similar.

greengreenten Mon 20-Jun-16 22:01:23

It's essential treatment for a chronic condition. I've agreed the time off with work but, despite asking, they haven't advised me to get a sick note for the entire time off or not. We discussed using holiday pay and it seems it's up to me to decide.

lizzywig Tue 21-Jun-16 09:08:19

Yes doctors notes can be backdated.The doctor needed to do this for me a while ago and for a friend recently.

chalky3 Tue 21-Jun-16 09:48:57

I've had planned treatment for a chronic condition before, the time off was treated as sick leave. My employer wouldn't expect, or allow me to take holidays to cover the time off if such an occasion should arise again as I would be considered unfit to work.
Sick notes can be backdated.

Discuss your absence with HR and your union, if you have one, to clarify things.

greengreenten Tue 21-Jun-16 10:02:04

Thanks Lizzy and Chalky.
I've got a telephone appointment with the GP today and will ask for a sick note backdated. Good advice thanks.

I've had really vague and conflicting HR chats so far from the junior HR person. Bit stressful at the same time as treatment!

greengreenten Tue 21-Jun-16 10:59:45

Thanks all. Sorted! What a minefield (all relative/dramaconfused)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now