Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does you child starting a apprenticeship affect your benefits?

(9 Posts)
Tostartagain Thu 16-Jun-16 22:17:12

My 16 year old Son is starting a apprenticeship next week, he will be receiving a wage from this. Am I right in thinking that my child tax and child benefit will stop in September or will I need to call them about the change?
The thing I'm quite worried about is will my housing benefit be affected too?

Babyroobs Fri 17-Jun-16 09:39:00

Yes child benefit and tax credits will stop as your child is earning. I would notify them as soon as he starts to avoid an overpayment. I think child benefit may carry on until the August after their 16th birthday. You may find housing benefit goes up a little if tax credits stop.

gingerboy1912 Fri 17-Jun-16 10:27:33

Yes they will be affected but check with them to see if it stops completely or just gets reduced.

Babyroobs Fri 17-Jun-16 12:14:39

If you have only one child, they will stop completely, if you have other younger kids then they will reduce but may stop altogether as the tax credit threshold reduces for less kids.

Andbabymakesthree Fri 17-Jun-16 21:41:00

Depends on what type of apprenticeship

www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19

Tostartagain Sat 18-Jun-16 14:56:21

Thank you for your reply's. So my housing benefit won't get reduced then?

Andbabymakesthree Sat 18-Jun-16 19:23:16

If you no longer receive benefit then yes your housing benefit will also alter. Also a non dependant reduction is likely. Think you should seek advice from CAB

AndNowItsSeven Sat 18-Jun-16 19:25:05

Housing benefit will go don not up.

AndNowItsSeven Sat 18-Jun-16 19:25:17

Down.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now