Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What are my chances at being able to take over mortgage myself?

(7 Posts)
JemIsMyNameNooneElseIsTheSame Wed 15-Jun-16 20:22:28

Ex has left me for a younger model. We're not married, have one DS and are joint tenants on mortgage. He has said that he'll accept a % of the equity now in return for me taking over the mortgage which I'd like to do, but I'm thinking my chances are slim.
These are the figures:
Mortgage outstanding £130,000
My gross wage £19,000 per year
Tax credits and child maintenance £8000 per year
No other debts or financial commitments apart from usual household expenses

From the calculators I've used online the indication is that I'd be offered £80,000 on my wage alone if I'm lucky. Would I be able to offer my parents as guarantors and/or would there be any other options available to me? I fear it is likely to just be 'computer says no'. I can comfortably afford the monthly payments at £633 currently.

StrawberriCream Wed 15-Jun-16 20:28:40

Have you seen a solicitor? You may find you don't need to give him anything at the minute as you have to house the child until 18. I would also talk to your mortgage lender and see what they say-are you able to over pay at all? Don't forget to get child maintenance from him too.

Dragongirl10 Wed 15-Jun-16 20:31:37

Try your existing mortgage company first, then go to an independant broker such as London and Country, they will look at your situation and try and find a suitable mortgage for you, and will not charge you unless they complete on one for you.

I have used them several times in unusual circustances and all the brokers have been very very good at finding solutions.

Having a guarantor will help hugely but you need to be able to show your outgoings allow enough to comfortably make the payments, so do a budget now and get your ducks in order.

You will have to show 3 months bank statements so it wouldn't hurt to eliminate any unecessary spending from now on to make your accounts look as good as possible.

Good luck!

JemIsMyNameNooneElseIsTheSame Wed 15-Jun-16 20:33:46

Yes, have seen solicitor and they said it is likely DS and I will be able to stay in house until he leaves full time education (a long way off) but he would then be entitled to 50% equity once sold. At the moment he is offering to accept much less than 50% and unexpectedly my parents have offered to lend me the money to make that possible. Will get appointment with lender asap but I always like to have a but if an indication going into those sort of things as to what the options may be! By overpayments, do you mean per month or in a lump sum? Thanks

JemIsMyNameNooneElseIsTheSame Wed 15-Jun-16 20:36:30

Have used L&C before so will try them if my lender says no Dragon, thanks. Unfortunately I've been spending way more than I usually would to try and get over being ditched two months before my wedding! Will have to reign myself in a bit from now on.

JemIsMyNameNooneElseIsTheSame Wed 15-Jun-16 20:37:53

^^rein myself in

Dragongirl10 Wed 15-Jun-16 20:57:57

It sounds like you would be better to buy him out now, and own your house alone, good news you have some family support.

Could a family member bump up your account now? coupled with tight budgeting...better future is way more exciting than post breakup spending anyhow!

Also if you can find a way to keep your house, if it has a spare room you can earn 7,500 pa tax free by letting to a lodger, may not work but could get you back on your feet in the short term and help build an emergency fund...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now