Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

What if anything am I entitled to?

(70 Posts)
Littleelffriend Wed 15-Jun-16 17:47:45

Hi all, I'm really confused as to what benefits if any I'm entitled to claim. I'm in Scotland on maternity leave. I live with my partner, my salary is 30k and last year he earned just over 70k (his salary varies but doesn't drop below 50k). We have no childcare costs at present as baby is only 6 weeks and I plan to take a year off. Can anyone help?

LadyStarkOfWinterfell Wed 15-Jun-16 17:49:02

I'm in England not Scotland but with a combined income of £50-100k why do you think you should be entitled to benefits? Certainly in England you would get bubkiss

greenfolder Wed 15-Jun-16 17:50:31

Statutory maternity pay

LineyReborn Wed 15-Jun-16 17:50:48

Do you mean maternity benefits?

bilbul Wed 15-Jun-16 17:51:17

Is there a reason you think the State should top up your £100k+ yearly income?

VilootShesCute Wed 15-Jun-16 17:53:19

hmm

LineyReborn Wed 15-Jun-16 17:58:49

You get your maternity package from your employer, which HR should have already discussed with you, plus statutory maternity pay as appropriate.

Is this what you mean?

aaahhhBump Wed 15-Jun-16 18:00:50

You need to contact your HR department. They should have given you details regarding employment maternity support. Such as childcare vouchers which come off your wages. You may also depending on your work be entitled parental leave until your DC is 16. It is highly unlikely that you will be due anything as you are currently over the earnings allowance on your joint income. ( think its £40,000). Your DC should get child benefit. The form unfortunatly comes in the Bounty pack you receive in hospital but you can aply online.

www.gov.uk/government/publications/child-benefit-claim-form-ch2

aaahhhBump Wed 15-Jun-16 18:03:27

Sorry x post with Liney

mcdog Wed 15-Jun-16 18:04:28

You will get nothing, not even child benefit.

Glitterkitten24 Wed 15-Jun-16 18:05:33

You'll get your child benefit which is £20 something per week, paid 4 weekly.

And your maternity pay from your employer.
That's your whack I'd have thought, I wouldn't imagine with those salaries that you'd be entitled to anything else.

hownottofuckup Wed 15-Jun-16 18:09:27

I think as your partner earns over £50000 any Child Benefit would be subject to a tax charge.
If you're unsure you should call the CB helpline.

Fourormore Wed 15-Jun-16 18:10:59

As he earned over £60k, you wouldn't get child benefit. Or you would, but you'd have to pay all of it back.

Glitterkitten24 Wed 15-Jun-16 18:14:32

Oh yeah, i forgot child benefit rules had changed- obviously I don't have that problem in my current salary bracket! wink

Littleelffriend Wed 15-Jun-16 18:32:12

Thanks for all the responses, I didn't think we were entitled to anything. To those of you who don't think we should get anything why not?? We pay plenty tax and have done for years. Property is extortionate where we live so why shouldn't we get some help?

fuckincuntbuggerinarse Wed 15-Jun-16 18:33:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsSpecter Wed 15-Jun-16 18:35:58

You pay plenty of tax because you earn plenty. What on earth do you need that you cant afford on £100k salary? confused

dementedpixie Wed 15-Jun-16 18:38:29

Nope, you will be entitled to nothing above your maternity pay

Cheapthrills Wed 15-Jun-16 18:39:56

Help with what? Why do you need extra help?

peppatax Wed 15-Jun-16 18:41:44

This is a wind up right? Property in Scotland is cheap as chips right? Or so us in the SE are regularly told!

Sallyingforth Wed 15-Jun-16 18:42:48

To those of you who don't think we should get anything why not?? We pay plenty tax and have done for years.
Tax is not a form of saving, that you'll get back one day.
Tax is to help others who need benefits because they can't earn enough to get by.
If you are unfortunate enough one day to fall on hard times and need benefits, then you'll get them.

Littleelffriend Wed 15-Jun-16 18:43:14

Peppatax I'm not sure if you've ever been to Scotland but there are cheap areas and expensive areas. Just like in England.

expatinscotland Wed 15-Jun-16 18:43:46

'To those of you who don't think we should get anything why not?? We pay plenty tax and have done for years. Property is extortionate where we live so why shouldn't we get some help?'

So what? Everyone pays taxes. Taxes are not a personal savings account. They pay for us to live in a place with good infrastructure so we can go about our business in peace, unmolested. Not to subsidise your life in an expensive place.

NedStarksHead Wed 15-Jun-16 18:44:03

Unless you're living beyond your means u can't think where in Scotland you live that's extortionate.
You pay a lot of tax because you earn above the odds.
If you're in a 4 bedroom house and there's only 2 of you, downsize instead of thinking you're entitled to money from the government hmm

Oh, and have a biscuit

Tinklypoo Wed 15-Jun-16 18:44:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now