Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Major money and electricity worries.

(44 Posts)
beccamummymay Tue 14-Jun-16 22:07:09

Hi everyone I'm new to this just looking for some advise and please no negative comments ... I'm a single mum of a 7month baby iv had to go back to work as i was struggling with money now I don't know if that was my best move as I'm struggling now more than ever!! I recently moved into a council property after leaving my ex partner for reasons I don't want to put on here. I was so exited to finally have a fresh start with my LO, I moved in with nothing but a bed tv and my baby's things. I had to apply for help with basic appliances which I was granted. I also went back to work to try be able to afford to decorate as I currently have floor boards and bare walls iv managed to complet one room at the min. As I have no family and also no friends in the area I currently pay for child care for my child while I work. Once I have paid child care , bills , food , baby's essentials I'm left with barley enough to live let alone decorate! My house seems to never progress and I am basically living in 1 room! I don't know what to do for the best! This week I had a unexpected expense and had to buy my child some new baby grows etc I'm usually organised with things but with the house iv been in a bubble. Now my electric is on -2.00 and I Dont know how long that will last sad iv rang my supplier etc and I'm already owing to them so couldn't get help... does any one know any organisations? Or any other support places that can help as my next income isn due till next Monday thank you smile

LaurieFairyCake Wed 15-Jun-16 06:41:56

Are you getting child tax credits ? Unless you bought those baby Grows in Ralph Lauren grin you shouldn't be this skint, that's dreadful!

Advice on another thread at the weekend mentioned trying to eke it out til the weekend as it wouldn't run out after 6 on a Saturday or on a Sunday at all.

Can you get a sub from work, an advanced payment? Are you going in to work this week?

HallowedMimic Wed 15-Jun-16 06:48:07

Apparently some food banks can access issue/help with gas and electricity payment cards.

Even if they can't, if you can get a few days worthworth of food, you could put the spare money towards electricity.

Tax credits should cover a decect amount if childcare too, if you are not earning much at the moment.

ineedamoreadultieradult Wed 15-Jun-16 06:48:11

Npower have a Fuel Bank scheme where top up vouchers are avaliable at some Food Banks no idea which ones or how you get them but might be worth looking into. They also have an energy fund as do British Gas so I'm guessing others do as well where you can apply and if qualify they pay off the debt so nothing is taken towards your debt when you top up which sounds like what is happening now.

makingmiracles Wed 15-Jun-16 06:48:31

I don't like suggesting payday loans but I have no friends or family and was struggling a few years ago and wonga were my lifesaver, if I was a similar situation I could take a 10/20£ wonga loan and pay it back when tax credits or child benefit came through, borrowing such a small amount usually meant paying about £2-3 in interest but I literally had no one else to turn to. Maybe an option?
If you can't do wonga maybe go to your local church and see if they can help?

cozietoesie Wed 15-Jun-16 09:21:07

Do you have food in the house?

specialsubject Wed 15-Jun-16 10:10:46

Thoughts - try free cycle and freegle for furniture and baby kit. The latter certainly goes for tiny amounts in charity shops and on eBay.babies outgrow stuff ,don't wear it out, so second hand stuff is fine. (Actually second hand stuff is always fine!)

Talk to your electric supplier - remember to find an 0800 or inclusive minutes number.

beccamummymay Wed 15-Jun-16 11:16:30

Yes I get tax credits but I currently get everything monthly I called to change this but it won't go into action until next time I receive a payment, the baby grows was just from primark but I had to get him sleep suits and also a simple out fit to wear when it's warm sad I try my hardest for my boy but this month is getting to me, we usually have my partners income to help but since the split he's refusing contact or to pay unless he sees me.
Who do I speak to regards to child care?
I rang my supplier this morning and as I have recently swapped to pay as you go (wish i never) to stop myself falling behind in debt u owe 50 pound swap over charge on the meter so thy can't add any credit I'm with SSE.
Im just taking a look at fee cycle now as iv just come to libary to use computer.

beccamummymay Wed 15-Jun-16 11:18:49

Oh and yes I have meals in , iv just fallen with the electric and gas but not been too bad for gas as it's been warm and my showers electric so used that for baby washes but that's also a negative impact on my electric situation 😳😞😩

dancemom Wed 15-Jun-16 11:30:10

Have you claimed Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction? Have you told them about your childcare costs also?

Contact your local council about a welfare payment

beccamummymay Wed 15-Jun-16 11:35:48

I don't think so , I'm really not sure up this is my first home on my own so I'm lost with all this I don't know we're to start iv had no help or support so I dunno what's been done and what hasn't , if I go into my local housing can they tell me ?
The welfare scheme helper me with cooker washer and a bed so I am unable to apply for help from them as the budget doesn't cover this , they was the 1st place I called . Thank you

user1465986416 Wed 15-Jun-16 11:37:40

try a local food bank.... they provide not only help but advice and support too. they will point you in the right direction and inform you of any other help you may be entitled to. good luck xx

glenthebattleostrich Wed 15-Jun-16 11:40:40

Can you make an appointment with citizens advice so they can do a benefit check?

Lagirafe Wed 15-Jun-16 11:40:51

You may be eligible for help from your local councils "discretionary welfare fund". Every council is different so Google yours and see if they offer assistance with fuel.

It is ok to use a Foodbank for food to prioritise money for gas/electric. Your health visitor should be able to give you a voucher. If not then the GP can.

Sure Start centres are great for baby clothes. My local one has lots of clothes all sorted into age ready for those who need them. They can also refer to the Foodbank.

If you are working over 16 hours you may be able to claim some of your childcare back. Please call tax credits and have your childcare providers details including their Ofsted registration number ready.

beccamummymay Wed 15-Jun-16 11:42:43

Iv just found the address of my local good bank online I'm gunna go in today. My nearest citizen advice is a 50 min bus ride away so can't afford to do that this week but ill defo be going in neXT week

Lagirafe Wed 15-Jun-16 11:44:11

You need a voucher for the food bank before they can help you.
Their website should state who can issue the vouchers.

Lagirafe Wed 15-Jun-16 11:45:13

Also - the Foodbank might be able to give you nappies/wipes and washing powder (my one does) so that could save a few £ x

beccamummymay Wed 15-Jun-16 11:46:24

Lagirafe the welfare fund is the scheme that helped me with my white goods and bed so I don't qualify for any other funding from them.
I'm scared to ask my health visitor incase social services get involved .. They had a major involvement when I was a little girl so I really don't want the same for my boy sad

Lagirafe Wed 15-Jun-16 11:50:25

I promise SS won't get involved over HV issuing a Foodbank voucher! If you're worried though try the sure start centre. Mine can issue vouchers too....
Shame re welfare fund - mine allows 2 crisis applications in a 12 month period but they're all different and short of cash!!!

BeBopTalulah Wed 15-Jun-16 11:50:27

Citizens Advice, ASAP. I know of friends who have had their excellent advice and support, I'd pay them a visit. Ultimately, even if you can scrape together enough to manage for now it's not going to solve your long-term problems. You need someone to sit down with and look at everything.

Citizens Advice will support you with pushy utility companies wanting money, they will even speak to them on your behalf. They will make you feel more in control.

princessmi12 Wed 15-Jun-16 11:53:23

Have you contacted CSA for child maintenance? The amount you'll get will not affect tax credits so do contact them ASAP

beccamummymay Wed 15-Jun-16 11:54:12

I will contact my health visitor now and see what she says about food voucher hopefully I get some help but it's not food I need as I have that so hopefully food bank can help with electric maybe . X

Im defiantly going to sit down with citizen advice I can't be in this situation every time I buy my son a outfit sad

beccamummymay Wed 15-Jun-16 11:56:21

I have recently contacted child support but there struggling to track Down my ex partner he's a traveller so he has no fixed address and is almost a ghost to the system :/

beccamummymay Wed 15-Jun-16 11:58:38

When I try contact him myself he just focuses the conversation on me and him not our little boy, it's asif he doesn't want to know our son because he can't have me . And I'm not willing to put myself in a relationship or anything with him again

princessmi12 Wed 15-Jun-16 12:00:34

Also is your gas and electric meters are prepayment meters? They are most expensive of all. It would be good idea later on,when you get paid ,to replace meters to standard ones and pay by online tariffs-works out cheapest. Also they cant cut off your gas/electric that way even if you massive arrears (due to child under 5 at the property).
Those meters might cost you a bit but its worth it in long run

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now