Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Is it worth doing? benefits!

(11 Posts)
ThatMummy Sat 11-Jun-16 19:47:56

My fiancé and I earn around £2200 per month, we have a young son, I was talking to someone and they was talking about tax credits and how I may as well apply to see if I would get anything. We currently don't get any sort of benefits apart from child benefit. My question is, will it be worth filling out the forms and does anyone else on similar wages get any tax credits, council tax benefit etc
Tia x

BG2015 Sat 11-Jun-16 20:18:57

You can put all your information into the calculator online and it will tell you what you're entitled to.

If you pay for child care you probably will qualify

sleepyhead Sat 11-Jun-16 20:22:19

You might get some help towards childcare costs, but with one child you won't qualify for child tax credits or council tax benefit.

Cut off for CTC with one child (iirc) is around £17k and I think it's lower than that for council tax credit.

ThatMummy Sat 11-Jun-16 20:29:45

Thanks for your replies smile
I posted again in the aibu section as I wasn't getting any for all of 5 minutes (you can tell the football is on and I am bored lol) I work in my sons school so we pay no childcare. I hear lots of people talking about working tax, and child tax credits. We get by ok but never have any cash left over and at this rate we will be getting married as a retirement present! X

unimagmative13 Sat 11-Jun-16 20:33:40

My DP earns waaaaay over the threshold and I still apply as I'm on mat leave and update my details as payment can be back dated if need be. Takes 5 mins you might aswell.

ThatMummy Sat 11-Jun-16 20:42:20

Done the online calculator, it gave me a grand total figure of.......£0.00
I am often told by people who are on the same sort of money that they get around £50 per week...I am starting to think there is bound to be a mistake there! X

YouAreMyRain Sat 11-Jun-16 20:48:16

They might get £50 a week if they pay for childcare

sleepyhead Sat 11-Jun-16 20:51:10

My take home is £1400, dh is currently on JSA and we have 2 dc (but no childcare costs).

I calculated that we should qualify for around £150 per month, so yes, when you hear about people getting £££ they really are earning very little, or have several dcs as the thresholds move up relatively steeply per child.

ThatMummy Sat 11-Jun-16 20:59:44

That may be it then as yes they do have more than one child, I didn't think of this just thought of it as a family you get this much then any for any other children you would get so and so amount extra X

eightbluebirds Sat 11-Jun-16 23:20:45

We're on £2200 a month and get about £18 a week. Worth a try

Babyroobs Sun 12-Jun-16 08:40:23

With one child and no childcare costs the threshold is around £26k so you are well over the limit and wouldn't get anything. The more kids you have the higher the thresholds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now