Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

if someone scrapes your car...

(7 Posts)
RhodaBull Fri 10-Jun-16 12:01:15

I don't know if I'm in the right section.... but at least I haven't posted in AIBU!

Dh returned to car in car park after work and found a note pinned to windscreen from person apologising for hitting his car and leaving details. The front paintwork is scraped and bumped and the numberplate glass cracked and numberplate bent.

What should dh do? Would it send his insurance up if he claims for this? It isn't major damage, but the scrape is quite deep and there is dent.

Thanks for any advice!

IWILLgiveupsugar Fri 10-Jun-16 12:05:51

I think you contact your insurance who will claim it from the other person's insurance.
Some people might choose to contact the other party directly and give them the opportunity to pay for the damage directly so it doesn't affect their premiums but this is riskier for you.

Nice that they left their details though, lots of people don't.

IWILLgiveupsugar Fri 10-Jun-16 12:06:44

I don't think your premiums are affected as you are claiming from the other party, including your excess.

RhodaBull Fri 10-Jun-16 12:19:06

At first dh was, "Aw, how kind of them," and said he'd forget it. But when he looked at the car he saw there was a bit more damage than he'd thought.

Ah - update - dh has just spoken to person and agree he will get a quote for work if they'd like to pay themselves instead of going through insurance.

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 10-Jun-16 12:24:45

We're doing the same at the moment except I'm the one who caused the damage. We're claiming on our insurance to pay for the other persons car even though it will cost less than the excess. This is so its all done officially and the other party can't then claim more (bogus) damages later on iyswim.

Sweetpotatoaddict Fri 10-Jun-16 12:32:50

I've just had my car repaired after something similar, our car was parked and was hit by someone coming out a space. They very kindly came into the store and got me tannoyed. I think they thought it was a scratch, and wanted to avoid going through insurance.
Got a quote for the work which was £1500, so did put it through insurance. They've accepted liability so nothing to pay at all, I imagine my insurance premium might increase slightly but it needed fixed, and I'm very grateful for their honesty!!

RhodaBull Fri 10-Jun-16 18:13:18

Thanks for replies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now