Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can someone give me a bit of advice re not taking up an advertising service?!

(13 Posts)
PinkFluffyChickenTrousers Thu 09-Jun-16 17:23:46

Evening,

I own a bookkeeping business and about 2-3 months ago was called by a company asking if I would be interested in advertising in a 'to the rescue' magazine that was distributed in doctors surgeries. All profits went to charity, it was £102.

At the time, I said yeah ok I'd think about it, just to get them off the phone you understand. Apparently, the graphic designers at the office send you a mock up of your advert. No one asked me if there was anything in particular I would like. I then received a black and white half page piece of paper with the information from my website literally copied and pasted on to it, no extra design or anything.

Then they started to call asking when I would pay, it's been about 3 weeks of them calling tbh but I've just been diagnosed with Graves Disease and I am extremely busy with 2 kiddies.

I got a letter from them today saying that they would refer my debt to a debt recovery agency if I didn't pay ! So I logged on to pay them just now, but googled them and they have numerous awful reviews as cold callers and that the publications aren't even real, they are not a charity (in fact they are listed as a Ltd Co at Companies House) What should I do!? Should I pay them?!

I haven't signed anything but did obviously agree to them doing this on the phone.

I don't actually want the advertising either considering doctors surgeries aren't actually my demographic so I'm not sure how I can weasel out of this one!

Thanks in advance for any advice/flaming - I know I should have just said no but I've not been feeling myself lately due to my illness and I just wasn't listening properly I guess.

IceMaiden73 Thu 09-Jun-16 18:09:27

I'm pretty sure this is a scam as we had something similar a few years ago, and we have had clients go through the same thing

IceMaiden73 Thu 09-Jun-16 18:11:37

Google it there are loads of complaints about it www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=%27to%20the%20rescue%27%20magasine%20scam

lanbro Thu 09-Jun-16 18:14:19

This happened to me. Didn't agree to anything and they were chasing me for money. I think I wrote a letter saying I had no intention of paying and would contact the police if they contacted me again. Never heard anything more, massive scam!

PinkFluffyChickenTrousers Thu 09-Jun-16 18:16:46

Cheers. Yes have googled the company is obviously a scam. Just worried where they've written to me about debt collectors - not sure how I can get out of it

OlennasWimple Thu 09-Jun-16 18:17:36

Write a formal letter refuting the implied contract and copy it to the Charity Commission

PinkFluffyChickenTrousers Thu 09-Jun-16 18:17:47

I think I will write a strongly worded letter tonight then and send it off to them by post, and threaten with police etc etc if they don't bugger orf! Thanks.

OlennasWimple Thu 09-Jun-16 18:18:22

They haven't really sent your details to a debt collector, they are lying bullies

OlennasWimple Thu 09-Jun-16 18:19:08

Send the letter recorded delivery so you have proof of receipt

Charity Commission as well as police

PinkFluffyChickenTrousers Thu 09-Jun-16 18:21:37

I will. Thank you. Yes I'll list all of them, send it recorded delivery and hope they back off. I get loads of correspondence and emails for work so I have to open all my post & there's been two invoices, the crap advert and now this letter. I'll write it tonight and post it off tomorrow.

aginghippy Thu 09-Jun-16 18:22:48

You have no contract with them, you don't owe them any money. They mention debt collectors in their letter to frighten people. There is no debt.

PinkFluffyChickenTrousers Thu 09-Jun-16 18:28:47

Even if I did agree to it over the phone, before I knew they were a scam? blush

OlennasWimple Thu 09-Jun-16 21:05:58

Yup

Verbal agreement is rarely a binding contract, esp when it's something you need to agree proofs

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now