Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Full or part time? Single parent

(23 Posts)
IrishKaraoke Fri 03-Jun-16 21:32:49

I've just been offered a job, I originally asked for part time as I'm a single parent, youngest is 7, but they have put on the final offer letter 37 1/2 hours. I'm thinking about just doing the full time hours. Does anyone know if it would be worth it financially? I have 4 children, FT salary starts at £31,000. I currently receive Tax Credits and no child maintenance.

BrianButterfield Fri 03-Jun-16 21:34:46

I was talking to a woman today, we're both lone parents, and we were saying in some ways it's preferable to work full time as at least you sort of know exactly where you are - work day = work, you have your routines, you're maximising your income and you just make it work. If you pay childcare you should still get some tax credits I think.

simplydivine05 Sat 04-Jun-16 07:46:01

I worked full time as a single parent, although when I started he was 2 and I did that up until he was 6. Then I went self employed so didn't matter anymore. If you can afford the childcare then go for it. You will feel immensely proud of yourself and I would also say it is easier to find a routine. With that salary I think it is unlikely you will get any tax credits but you may get a bit.

Artandco Sat 04-Jun-16 07:49:21

I would take those hours. They aren't that long as many full time are 50-60 hrs.

37 hrs would mean presumably children are in school for a large chunk of time, and you may just need before/ afterschool care, and in the holidays.

If 7 year old if youngest, how old are elder ones? They could possible help with some childcare as time goes on

megletthesecond Sat 04-Jun-16 07:49:35

You'll probably be better off working FT if you can manage It. I work PT (3 days) for my physical and mental health (both need a lot of self care). It would be nice to have more money but not worth the fall out.

IrishKaraoke Sun 05-Jun-16 01:22:30

Thanks for everyones responses. The hours are 8-6, so I'm assuming that's 4 days a week. After school is not a problem as After school club goes on til 6.30, but before school I think I'd need someone to look after the little one and get him to school. I just don't know if it's worth it if I won't be better off financialy.

justjuanmorebeer Sun 05-Jun-16 17:51:01

It will all depend on whether you get any help with childcare costs or not. Even though I only have wraparound care to pay for it is still 300 a month for one child! You need to use the calculator to see if you would still get any working tax (childcare element) at all on 31k, I suspect you may not, but check.

IrishKaraoke Sun 05-Jun-16 18:40:01

Thanks Just. I did the tax credit calculator and it says I will get 0 Working Tax Credits but £860 of Child Tax Credits every 4 weeks. That was based on full time earning £31,000. Now I'm wondering whether the changes to Tax Credits may change this??

IrishKaraoke Sun 05-Jun-16 19:49:20

But changed to 3 days which is 28 hours, approx £24,000, I would get £121 Working Tax credits and £ 897 Child Tax Credit.

justjuanmorebeer Sun 05-Jun-16 23:16:28

I thought the child tax creds cutoff was much lower. Don't forget when universal credit comes in it will be lower so factor that in long term. In your situation I would go for three days until your youngest is at secondary because of the high childcare costs.

justjuanmorebeer Sun 05-Jun-16 23:18:03

Ps are you sure you read it correctly? Those figures per 4 weeks seem v high. Maybe you have some disability elements though? I don't know

IrishKaraoke Mon 06-Jun-16 09:49:59

Def. read it correctly. I don't have any disability elements but I did put in £150 per week childcare so I'm assuming the child element is mostly for that?? 3 days 8-6 is what I'm leaning towards too, I've always done around 22 and half and always felt like I couldn't quite get to grip with what was going on at work!! (Prob also coz I had 4 young kids, single, and was always knackered!)

justjuanmorebeer Mon 06-Jun-16 19:06:53

I think the childcare contribution comes under working tax childcare element that is why I was confused as I don't think child tax credits (without any working tc) would be so high. Seems right with the childcare though.

IrishKaraoke Mon 06-Jun-16 20:26:00

Remember I have 4 kids though! Maybe that's why it seems high?? I really don't know but it was the official calculator I used

AndNowItsSeven Mon 06-Jun-16 20:30:04

The childcare element is high because you have four DC nothing to do with childcare. You should still revive wtc for childcare on that salary did you add your childcare costs to the calculation.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 06-Jun-16 20:30:11

Receive.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 06-Jun-16 20:31:34

Ahh the child tax credit element I meant.

IrishKaraoke Tue 07-Jun-16 07:47:34

Yes I estimated £150 per week childcare

simplydivine05 Tue 07-Jun-16 15:39:05

Childcare is paid under child tax credit not working tax credit. Bear in mind that come the new tax year your tax credits will likely drop, regardless of whether you are switched to universal credit.

simplydivine05 Tue 07-Jun-16 16:16:36

Just had a thought, when you did the tax credits calculator did you enter your actual income for the last tax year or what your new income will be? The reason I ask is if this tax year will be considerably higher then they take this years income not last. That may explain why your figures are so high.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 07-Jun-16 16:24:48

No simply childcare is paid under working tax credit not child.

simplydivine05 Tue 07-Jun-16 22:51:24

AndNow is that a recent change then as I have always had mine paid under child tax credit. I always thought it was a confusing way to do it but that was how it showed on my documents from them. From what the op has got from the calculator it shows under child tax credit too as they wouldn't qualify for getting child tax credit and £0 for working tax credit without the childcare element.

AndNowItsSeven Tue 07-Jun-16 23:05:13

No it's always been the "childcare element of working tax credit."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now