Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

The most tax efficient way to donate to school

(8 Posts)
ReceptionMum Wed 01-Jun-16 13:53:52

Hi, would appreciate some advice please... We are thinking of donating some money to our daughter's school (state) for some extra equipment/activities. How can we process this the most tax efficient way for us & the best value for money for the school ?

Myself & DH both work, both high tax rate payers. DH has also got a small business registered as a Ltd company. We are talking about £300-£400 donation.

I believe using DH's Ltd company (rather than as our personal donation) would be the best way. However, is there any opportunities to stretch the money even further - e.g. saving on VAT by school ?

Many thanks

user1467828776 Wed 06-Jul-16 19:16:11

Hi

Did you ever get an answer to your question elsewhere? I have exactly the same question. Many thanks.

ReceptionMum Thu 07-Jul-16 09:02:52

Hi, user1467828776

No, didn't get any advice. The time was "of the essence" as the school needed money "now" to be able to proceed with the purchase so I decided to go the least complicated way - transferred money as my personal donation. I believe a few other parents did the same as well.

If you manage to get any advice please share it in here.

MachiKoro Thu 07-Jul-16 09:06:39

I think tax implications vary depending on whether the school is a registered charity.

Rhythmsticks Thu 07-Jul-16 09:07:47

Our school (state) asks parents for a dd of at least £5 a month per child and they sent out a tax relief form that we signed. I think most local schools do the same, did the school not tell you? Most schools round us have a business manager now and are hot on stuff like that!

TaIkinPeace Thu 07-Jul-16 21:44:15

Easy peasy
if the school has a PTA, is likely to be a charity.
Donate to the PTA with a gift aid form (they can download one from the NCPTA site)
and as its in the PTA funds its immediately free to go to the cause you want.

THe school itself CANNOT do a tax relief form - donating to government is not charitable

BUT
if its an academy, they may well have a charitable arm you could use
but the money might get sucked up to the suits at head office

accountant and former PTA treasurer

user1467828776 Thu 07-Jul-16 22:59:13

Thanks for the replies. The school is indeed an academy and I've asked about this, following your reply.

ReceptionMum Fri 08-Jul-16 09:28:09

Many thanks for the replies. Will know what to do/ask for next time. Was mainly my fault, should have invested more time to make sure I got all info from the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now