Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

PAYE tax refund - will I get it back in one lump sum?

(11 Posts)
IggyPopsicle Fri 27-May-16 20:52:46

I need some help with my PAYE tax refund - I am very confused! Over the last 6 months, I have been on an emergency tax code. When it came to the end of April, I got my monthly payslip and the tax code had been adjusted so I am now on the correct one. However, I didn't receive any refund from PAYE at all. I waited again until this month and still nothing. I am due approx £300 in tax back and I was wondering if I should wait again until next month - is there a possibility it might go into my account in one lump sum then?

I have heard sometimes it is gradually repaid but I don't understand how this works, and can't find any info on it. If anyone could tell me, I would be very grateful as I don't want to go chasing up HMRC if I don't have my facts straight. Thanks smile

MrGrumpy01 Fri 27-May-16 21:16:18

I am interested to know this too as I was on emergency tax for most of last year. I started almost exactly one year ago and went onto emergency tax, I may have overpaid about the same.

I tried to call ring the tax office a while back, but it was so busy I was just cut off.

Balletgirlmum Fri 27-May-16 21:21:32

If you didn't get the refund in your payslip before the end of the tax year then you won't as everything is re-set for the new tax year after April 5th.

So you need to apply for it from hmrc.

MrGrumpy01 Fri 27-May-16 21:46:05

Thanks balletgirl I will check my payslips next week at work, but I don't think it has gone in.

IggyPopsicle Fri 27-May-16 21:56:43

Thankyou balletgirl. I suppose I'd better get cracking on an online application then..

MiracletoCome Fri 27-May-16 21:58:49

They normally send a cheque for overpaid tax this has happened to me and DS. If you have received your p60 ring them up and they should send you a cheque within 2 - 3 weeks, they did with me and DS, if you wait for them to send it without prompting you may wait until about September.

MrGrumpy01 Fri 27-May-16 21:59:22

I can do mine alongside my ctc renewal. wine

IceMaiden73 Sat 28-May-16 08:27:20

Your tax code at the end of April will be a new code for the 2016/2017 tax year

Any tax overpayment before this falls in the previous tax year and would not be dealt with through your employer. You can call HMRC about last tax year which will hurry things along, but eventually they will send it through.

TheSultanofPingu Sat 28-May-16 14:09:40

I got my refund around July last year for 2014/2015.

imnottoofussed Sat 28-May-16 14:18:48

They send you a cheque in my experience later on in the tax year but you can ring your local tax office to get them to action it quicker

IggyPopsicle Sat 28-May-16 16:09:00

Oh good, I think I will call them instead then..though I'll have to wait till after the bank holiday. Typical! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now