Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can't prove I paid for something in 2009 now being chased for it.

(10 Posts)
anotherglassofred Fri 27-May-16 19:54:43

Recently cancelled a direct debit fully up to date and picked up goods for final time. I am now told I owe for the final goods as I receive them 'in advance' but I didn't think this was the case and they admitted that usually direct debits come out each month before goods are handed over. They are insisting that they gave me goods I did not pay for in 2009 before the direct debit started but I thought I had paid before starting the direct debit scheme. I have asked for a copy of the paperwork but if the issue is that they think I didn't pay for something in 2009 I can't prove that I did as banks don't keep statements for that long. Advice welcome please.

Kanga59 Fri 27-May-16 20:01:16

What are the goods?

The paperwork will say whether it's in advance or arrears. the onus is on them to provide the paperwork to settle the difference of opinion. just keep politely asking for it and if they continually can't find it, they may drop the issue

Believeitornot Fri 27-May-16 20:06:30

Can you just look at the timing of the DDs and work it out? Then argue?

Andbabymakesthree Sat 28-May-16 11:03:53

Statue barred after six years isn't it?

akkakk Sat 28-May-16 11:30:16

There should be evidence as t when the direct debit was set up - they should have dated paperwork, if they don't they have not had authority to take your money out at any point!

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 28-May-16 11:32:07

Do you still have the same bank account? If you've closed it, they might not have the paperwork, but if it's still open then they should.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Sat 28-May-16 11:33:47

Andbaby for a debt to become statute barred, you have to have not paid or acknowledged it in six years. It's not that the debt is six years old. It sounds like OP had been paying a DD so it wouldn't have been, but now that she's acknowledged the debt too, that's not applicable.

peggyundercrackers Sat 28-May-16 12:02:54

You should be able to get bank statements back to 2009.

Andbabymakesthree Sat 28-May-16 12:11:51

Ah yes. If it's only recently ended it wouldn't be statue barred sorry!

anotherglassofred Sat 28-May-16 12:42:25

I have the same bank account but the bank tells me it doesn't keep records older than six years. Should the paperwork state I paid the direct debit in advance of receiving goods despite them saying otherwise then their claim is for the 'upfront goods' given to me in 2009 in which case would the statute barred apply? I have never heard of that term.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now