Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mat Policy v Pat Policy - is this wrong?

(7 Posts)
KJM2013 Mon 23-May-16 15:39:29

Hi
I work for a relatively new company and so maternity leave is quite alien. Having read my mat and pat policies with regard to enhanced pay offered, there appears to be a bit of 'discrimination' I wanted a sense check before I speak to HR.
For Mat Pay the rules is 3 months full pay, after a year's service (they are just grossing up statutory), for Pat Pay its 2 weeks full pay after any length of service (again grossing up statutory).
To me as a receiver of Mat pay I'm screwed over if I haven't done a year's service as I get nothing, just statutory. If I was a Dad with less than a year's service, I get 2 weeks full pay.
Thoughts appreciated - thanks!

dementedpixie Mon 23-May-16 16:51:59

2 weeks full pay will be a lot less than 3 months full pay.

lionsleepstonight Mon 23-May-16 19:31:08

The fist 6 weeks of statutory is 6 weeks at 90%, then it will drop to the standard weekly amount. Sounds like your company enhances that to 3 months after a year. So either way they both beat 2 weeks at full pay.

lionsleepstonight Mon 23-May-16 19:31:58

Fist = first!

AHellOfABird Mon 23-May-16 19:43:16

I think it's linked to stat paternity pay being available after 26 weeks but stat maternity as long as you have worked 26 weeks by 15th week of pg (gojng from memory, but basically you don't get stat maternity if you start the job pregnant but you do get the 2 weeks stay under lesser circumstances.

Your work has obviously enhanced both sets of pay and one set of time criteria, but the maternity enhancement is much better overall. So I doubt you'd get anywhere as they aren't obliged to offer any enhancement.

Are you likely to fall foul of the rule?

ClaraLane Mon 23-May-16 19:48:34

It could be a typo? I work in the NHS and both maternity and paternity leave is only ever paid at full pay (differing lengths of time) after 1 year's service. I'd definitely mention it though as it seems a bit dodgy to me.

AHellOfABird Mon 23-May-16 19:52:51

Oops! Please ignore my point about time scale, that is the same for both for statutory ie worked for 26 weeks by the 15th week before birth.

If you raise this, OP, they are more likely to move the paternity pay back than the maternity pay forward!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now