Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Taxman - best way forward?

(6 Posts)
ilsen1973 Fri 20-May-16 21:05:22

I owe thousands, they tell me... mostly in 'fines'...
Due to MH issues i have been burying my head in the sand for months.

I am getting better now, and making progress. I was a contract worker, but can't work due to a non-work related back injury.
Am having trouble facing up it to it all.
I need to sort this out. Where/who is the best place to start?

oh, I had a bit of an 'episode' a few weeks back and took the mountain of bills/demands/baillif letters etc out into the garden and burnt them.
Foolish I know.

Is Stepchange any good?
Who has access to the personal details I give them?

[paranoid and worried]

LIZS Fri 20-May-16 21:09:06

Start with CAB. I don't think Stepchange can negotiate with hmrc but CAB can point you in the right direction or help you write to hmrc asking them to send you the information about how much they think you owe. Can you work at all or are you claiming esa?

ilsen1973 Fri 20-May-16 21:39:34

Thanks LIZS
I am claiming ESA, but could do a 'home-working' tele/online job, but it seems that most advertised are scams or I am not qualified for. I have another thread running on this, and have been given some advice/ideas already!! yay!
re: CAB
I live in the London Borough of Haringey... I called CAB and they advised me to come early as they are so busy. I arrived one hour before they opened and there were already over 25 people waiting, (yes I counted, not much else to do...), first come, first served, I missed out by two places.
Not angry with them, just frustrated.
Guess I needd to go again next week (with a good book!)

Any other advice is most welcome, from all.

Alfiemoon1 Fri 20-May-16 21:57:43

Following I asked a similar question early my stupid sister did a cash your pension thing in 3 years ago now that tax man has found out and she owes £8 k they want it paid back by March so that makes it £700 per month. Can u appeal for lower payments?

TaIkinPeace Fri 20-May-16 22:32:27

Get an accountant
offer them a fee based on the reduction
you'll be fine

IceMaiden73 Sat 21-May-16 07:11:11

Find an accountant, go for the initial free meeting and see what they suggest - they are used to dealing with HMRC

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now