Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Holiday money

(14 Posts)
Gohackyourself Wed 18-May-16 19:34:33

Hi,

Can anyone advise the best way to use your money abroad nowadays-
It's been a long time since last "foreign " hol so I used to take travellers cheques.
I have had a pre paid card but found it a lot of faff to be honest.
I checked my bank website an it looks like if I purchase in a shop I'm charged 2.9% charge.
If I withdraw cash I'm charged 2.9% charge plus another charge of 2% - so say on a €100 euros I would be withdrawing about £81 sterling and £4 charges, if I'm reading correctly.

But seems small price to pay for peace of mind of not carrying large amount of cash and we use to get charged on changing travellers cheques anyhow.
Can anyone advise?

tribpot Wed 18-May-16 19:42:09

Have a look at MoneySavingExpert's guide to travel money. I use a Halifax Clarity card with cash from M&S.

Gohackyourself Wed 18-May-16 20:15:12

Hi,

I've had a look at his site- but I don't want to take out another card just for my hols .
Thanks though

Berthatydfil Wed 18-May-16 20:15:49

Halifax clarity card

dementedpixie Wed 18-May-16 20:17:32

We mostly take money with us and cards as backup.

Gohackyourself Wed 18-May-16 21:31:22

What cards as back up?

dementedpixie Wed 18-May-16 21:35:01

Our usual credit and debit cards

AssembleTheMinions Wed 18-May-16 21:35:06

I've found that the prepaid cards work very well in practice. I only withdraw larger amounts so the fee is minimal.

I haven't had to put a claim in so I can comment on that though. Do remember that if you rely on your bank card and it gets swallowed, you will be left without funds. Might be an idea to spread the risk.

AssembleTheMinions Wed 18-May-16 21:35:31

*cant <sigh>

Blu3sho3s Wed 18-May-16 22:39:21

www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money

If you have time preorder currency collect at bank, travel agent or airport or delivery to your home

Use credit card with zero fee to withdraw cash while on holiday. Pay in full when back home immediately

Take cash on holiday and change it there, normally get batter rate whilst on holiday

I have not seen a tratravellers cheque for about 20 years !

If you use a card abroad inform your bank before you travel, otherwise your card may get barred by the bank because they may think it is being used by scammers

Bellebelle Thu 19-May-16 22:05:09

Another fan of the moneysavingexpert advice - Halifax Clarity card. It's too good to be true, spending and cash withdrawals fee free. We just pay it off as soon as we get back so no interest incurred and we don't use it for anything else. It's worth getting just for holidays IMO.

ermmm Fri 20-May-16 11:16:42

Halifax clarity card. And agian let your bank know you are going on holiday.

youngestisapsycho Fri 20-May-16 11:25:27

Are you travelling in Europe? I have a Nationwide and Metro bank Debit cards and neither of them add any charges if in Europe.

Artandco Fri 20-May-16 11:31:55

We just take cash and use cards for larger purchases

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now