Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

how much for a 2 week holiday in the sun for 4

(52 Posts)
whatamess0815 Mon 16-May-16 19:14:26

how much would you budget for a family of 4 with half board? something decent but nothing too fancy either. during summer (school hols). We have never been on a holiday so I haven't really got a clue.

Marthacliffscumbag Mon 16-May-16 19:21:55

Depends entirely where in the world you fancy, and what sort of standard do you mean by decent?
Do you want an apartment, a hotel room/suite? Lots of facilities/kids club etc or something quieter? And by school holidays do you mean the 6 weeks or easter etc??

whatamess0815 Mon 16-May-16 19:31:29

Somewhere sunny, summer hols. tbh, not sure I can afford it. I only work p/t as one if the DC is severely disabled and I am her carer so money is tight (understatement blush). But the DC keep asking for a holiday as never been and they go without so many things other families take for granted so I really want to treat them. we are not holiday spoiled and pretty flexible. money is the main constraint. as long as it is in the sun (Europe).

whatamess0815 Mon 16-May-16 19:33:29

but I am really not sure what a realistic budget is. does 1.5k go far? think that is the max I can borrow.or am I deluded?

Marthacliffscumbag Mon 16-May-16 19:36:43

Are there constraints regarding your child's disability? Ie flying/wheelchair access etc?
If you're looking for this year I think you'll find it expensive, prices for Europe have gone up 40% because nobody is going to Turkey/Egypt/Tunisia etc, so hotels in Spain/Italy/France can band their price really.
I find the jet2 website brilliant for comparing hotels and prices. They also work out the cheapest by some margin, in my case booking through them worked out 800 cheaper than booking flight and hotel seperately.
Owners direct is also good if you were thinking of renting a house/apartment but flight prices to Europe in the summer are crazy high.

seb1 Mon 16-May-16 19:38:23

Where in the uk are you?

Marthacliffscumbag Mon 16-May-16 19:38:35

I don't want to use the word 'deluded' but yes! Fraid so, that 'might' get you flights but that would be all. Four adults in a basic hotel in Spain I think you'd be looking at a minimum of 3k for 2 weeks. You may have to consider going for only a week and self catering.

sabbby82 Mon 16-May-16 19:40:44

Look at holidaypirates good cheap deals if you can be flexible times wise. I saw stuff for £200/pp all inclusive today.

fruitpastille Mon 16-May-16 19:46:45

Have you considered camping/glamping? Much cheaper and the kids love it! We've been to these sites a couple of times - everything you need is provided france.huttopia.com/en

whatamess0815 Mon 16-May-16 19:48:36

DC has severe ASD and severe LD but is generally well behaved in public. We have been once in a plane and it was fine (though domestic flight).

will look at the holidaypirates and deals for Turkey. didn't realise that holidays are that expensive. how on earth do people afford?

or might just scrap the idea all together. arghhh sad

whatamess0815 Mon 16-May-16 19:50:28

fruit, I have been camping and I absolutely hate it. big punishment for me. would not work with my DC with ASD either. lots of very loud verbal stims. we really need some proper walls to shield the other holiday makers grin

Marthacliffscumbag Mon 16-May-16 19:55:54

The only problem with travelzoo/holiday pirates etc is you have to be mega flexible, and generally there offers don't happen in the school holidays. If you have definite needs/wants/dates etc you need to book in advance to make sure you get the flights at times to suit you and the room needed for your requirements. Could you consider going for a week instead? Bulgaria is reasonable and Croatia although prices there are rising quickly.

whatamess0815 Mon 16-May-16 19:59:27

wouldn't work for 1 week. esp not with DC1. and I am super stressed, depression and heading for breakdown (working + caring with no support). I just want a proper holiday. I am actually really desperate. not had any for 10 years.

derektheladyhamster Mon 16-May-16 20:00:23

We are self catering for 2 weeks in southern Spain, close to a beach with a shared pool. It's costing £1200 including flights. Food is cheaper in Spain so we'll spend a similar amount to what we pay usually.

We did however book back in Oct. So flights might be more expensive now. We used holiday settings and are flying cabin bag only with Ryan air from Bournemouth

MrsTatum1980 Mon 16-May-16 20:03:23

Just booked for 2017. 10 days all inclusive £2700 in a resort with an onsite water park. We did get a free child place though and a reduced child place. Going to Turkey.
We went self catering last year to Menorca for about £1500 and found the food was really cheap.

whatamess0815 Mon 16-May-16 20:03:53

maybe it is a better idea to save for 2-3 years more and make sure we can really afford it. have the sinking feeling it won't happen on my budget. hey ho, it's not the end of the world.

whatamess0815 Mon 16-May-16 20:05:10

thanks Derek, will look into this option.

WhatsGoingOnEh Mon 16-May-16 20:10:55

Does it have to be 2 weeks, and abroad? We are hopeless with money so never have enough for a fortnight, let alone abroad, but we've had some REALLY fun holidays. We always self-cater, in parts like Haven, Pontins, etc. It's really good fun. NOT AT ALL POSH, but there's loads for the kids to do, we go out exploring every day, and BBQ/drink wine in the evenings. Beaches, funfairs, crab-fishing, etc. It;s still fun. And only about £500/700 including spending/food money.

whatamess0815 Mon 16-May-16 20:16:41

DC1 (autism) will need a few days to adjust. one week is pointless with her. and I really want sun and warm weather. I know, I want it all.

Marthacliffscumbag Mon 16-May-16 20:18:46

You could book now for next year, you'd only have to pay a deposit at this stage. That way you could get exactly what you were looking for, probably get a free child place and have a year to save up. Not to mention you and the children having something to look forward to.

ItsLikeRainOnYourWeddingDay Mon 16-May-16 20:21:09

I did a quick search on jet2 for 7 days in July to Benidorm. 1400 quid so it is doable.

AndNowItsSeven Mon 16-May-16 20:21:23

Have you applied to family fund op ? They might give you Thomas cook vouchers or similar.

Marthacliffscumbag Mon 16-May-16 20:23:09

OP can't go for a week.

seb1 Mon 16-May-16 20:27:29

What airport do you want to fly from ?

TheFairyCaravan Mon 16-May-16 20:29:23

Could you do 11 or 12 nights and go to the Canaries at Easter, or take them out for a few days on the end of a half term?

DH and I have just been away to Fuerteventura for 11 nights, all inclusive. It was cheaper to do that flying from Birmingham than it was to go to the same hotel, flying from East Midlands (our local airport) for a week, so it pays to look around a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now