Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Maternity Allowance

(6 Posts)
eb455 Sun 15-May-16 18:59:01

I was speaking with my Midwife the other day and she was sure I was eligible for Maternity Allowance as I have worked during my test period. However, I am a full time student and have only had a 'Summer Job'

My test period is between the 01/03/2015 and the 08/06/2016.

My records show that I earned just under £1000 between these dates, however I don't think this amounts too the full number of weeks (13 or 26?) as I worked part time roughly between the beginning of June until the end of September. (approximately 152 hours in all).

However, my contract started in around March of 2014 and was terminated late September of 2015 - so although I wasn't working the whole time, Iv'e technically been employed since then, so I find it all a bit confusing.

It would be slightly irritating if I don't qualify for MA considering the amount I have earned during the time, and I also find it weird they have a section for taking part in activities related to your partners business? What? However, I understand if not, and don't really want to send off the forms in hope of them coming back okay!
Just thought I would check on here first!

Thanks Mumsnetters! x

eb455 Sun 15-May-16 19:02:58

Sorry - just to clarify when I said my contract started March 2014 it isn't a typo, I just meant that I had also worked the previous Summer at the bar and earned the same amount of money - but they didn't terminate my contract when I went back to University to study until the next year - when I stated I wouldn't need any further employment as I'm having a baby!

AnotherEmma Sun 15-May-16 19:10:42

Hmmm. I think it depends whether they just count the period you were employed and working (June-Sep 2015, so about 16 weeks?) or whether they also count the period you were technically employed but not working. You have to have been employed for 26 weeks and earning minimum £30/week on average during that time.

www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/children-and-young-people/benefits-for-families-and-children/#h-benefits-for-maternity

I think your best bet would be to call the Citizens Advice or Maternity Action helpline, and see what they say. Or just send off the application and see what happens!

eb455 Sun 15-May-16 19:50:39

Thanks Emma, I think I will send it off to see what happens! It wouldn't be the end of the world if I'm not entitled too it, I just find it all a bit bizarre! Surely you could work an hour, one day a week for 26 weeks and still be eligible :')

AnotherEmma Sun 15-May-16 20:25:49

No - not unless you were being paid £30/hour!

eb455 Sun 15-May-16 20:50:35

Maybe if you were some kind of famous super nanny? 😂

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now