Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Depop buyer scammed DS - anything I can do?

(7 Posts)
minxthemanx Sat 14-May-16 16:27:43

DS bought a Moncler hoodie, from a seller on depop. I helped him with the transaction, trying to pay the seller from my paypal account: each time I sent the money (£75) it said the seller hadn't requested it, and he kept saying he hadn't received it. To be fair to him, he did refund each of my attempts so he didn't receive any money from paypal. Because he was having difficulty with paypal (at one point he said he'd have to ask his Mum for help, so I'm guessing he is a teenager too), he asked if I could pay straight into his bank account instead. Stupidly, I did so. This means, presumably, that we have no buyer protection, as I would have done through paypal. Anyway, the hoodie has arrived: is far from the "great condition" as described, and has holes/tears and even been mended! I am furious - have emailed the seller and said I want a full refund into my paypal account asap, have attached photos of the holes etc. Haven't heard from him. Any suggestions ? I realise that we may have shot ourselves in the foot by paying through bank transfer - stupid of me.

youknowwhattodo Sat 14-May-16 19:12:18

I don't think there is anything you can do if you bank transferred. Have you reported the seller to depop. Does they seller have feedback for other items sold?

minxthemanx Sat 14-May-16 19:54:19

Yes my son reported the seller to depop, but I get the feeling from their terms and conditions that they don't intervene in issues where quality of good isn't as description. Very frustrating, can't believe I was stupid enough to pay by bank transfer (another reason depop won't want to know). I'll keep appealing to the seller to refund; my brother has a lot of experience in finance/debt retrieval etc and he's advised me to be firm. Refund or legal action! I won't hold my breath.

IDontBelieveAnything Sat 14-May-16 20:24:15

Oh dear. That's not looking good. Do you have his address? Or name? Can you cross check his details? Does he live close by?

minxthemanx Sat 14-May-16 20:36:07

Have his name and bank details. I may have to chalk this one up to experience; price of trying to do about ten things at once one evening, with 14 yr old nagging me to help him buy a hoodie....

lamusic Sat 14-May-16 21:08:09

Email depop, at the least they will block him from being able to sell to others

minxthemanx Sat 14-May-16 21:21:09

Yes I will, thanks for the advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now