Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Partner wants to split up but house in his name

(13 Posts)
Purplehighness57 Sat 14-May-16 15:03:23

Hi any advice would be great . My partner told me this morning that he wants to split up , this is on the back of me putting my foot down about his controlling ways and he's wanting me out . We have had the house two years now and the mortgage was in his name as I was still selling my own property which I lived in as a single parent . I have given him half the money each month for bills and mortgage despite him being a bigger earner than me . I also gave him a few thousand pounds which was all my savings towards the deposit . Does anyone know if I'm entitled to anything ??

noisytoys Sat 14-May-16 15:07:38

Did you sign the paperwork when the house was bought to say you have no claim? My partner had to sign as an adult in the property but not on the deeds to that effect. I couldn't get a mortgage if thar paperwork wasn't signed. We are marrying soon so it will be different but if we were to split before the wedding he would have no claim on the house.

Purplehighness57 Sat 14-May-16 15:14:14

Yes I signed something but can't remember what that was now , I thought it was something to do with the deeds . I will have a look when he goes out . Thanks

Purplehighness57 Sat 14-May-16 15:15:03

I didn't sign anything to say I had no claim definitely not . Sorry just re read the question

OurBlanche Sat 14-May-16 15:16:01

Get thee to a solicitor and take everything you are entitled too!

Purplehighness57 Sat 14-May-16 15:23:33

Thanks . I need to make a fast decision as I don't want to get out of the property when I should be staying put until I know what I should do

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Sat 14-May-16 15:24:26

Could it have been a Deed of Trust that you signed?

Purplehighness57 Sat 14-May-16 15:35:32

Could have been

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Sat 14-May-16 15:41:46

A Deed of Trust should legally set out how you own the property and what would happen if one of you wanted to sell. If you can track it down your answer may lie there. Could it be with the solicitor who handled the purchase of the property?

Purplehighness57 Sat 14-May-16 15:56:48

It could be but we should have a copy of it I'm sure I've seen something somewhere . So what you're saying is , if my name is on this then I am entitled ?

SomedayMyPrinceWillCome Sat 14-May-16 18:00:06

Not necessarily, I believe a Deed of Trust sets the terms of property ownership and these can be different in each situation. However I am NOT an expert I am speaking from my own experience

blue25 Sat 14-May-16 18:12:02

If your partner declared you would be living in the house to his mortgage company, you would have had to sign something from the mortgage company saying you have no say in the property and will move out if your partner wants to sell. I believe this is so you can't stay in the house and create difficulties for the mortgage company with regards to the mortgage being paid back.

Viviennemary Mon 16-May-16 18:25:33

I don't think you would have a claim on the house under these circumstances especially as you had your own property. But you might be able to get back the few thousands you gave him as a lump sum. I don't suppose you got anything in writing. Which is a pity as if you had that classed as a loan you could have claimed it back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now